Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17 Rem

17 Rem

Today I received an older rem 700 in 17rem. The one with the engraved action and drop plate.
    I have no clue if the barrel is still useable but would like to try it before I butcher it into a 223 or similar.

How useful is this calibre on fox/crows etc? I have never even seen one being fired.
    What factory ammo is useful say for fox?
    edi

I'd say factory ammo is gonna be mighty hard to come by!
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

I had one. Factory ammo was available on order. Sweet shooting round that deals with foxes and smaller quite sweetly. .17Rem or .22cf - i'd go for .22

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Today I received an older rem 700 in 17rem. The one with the engraved action and drop plate.
    I have no clue if the barrel is still useable but would like to try it before I butcher it into a 223 or similar.

How useful is this calibre on fox/crows etc? I have never even seen one being fired.
    What factory ammo is useful say for fox?
    edi
    Given the alleged capabilities of the 17 HMR, maybe you should offer it to Kim Jung-Il for his next execution....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I have the .17rem's little brother, the .17 fireball it is my main foxing rifle and kills cleanly out to 230m, Have killed crows over 500m and makes Rabbits inedible at 200m.

I sold my .22/250 as I preferred the quieter and soft shooting fireball ! Would I swap it for a .22CF ? short answer is NO

.17Rem not hmr..........

Hi Edi
    17 rem is an awesome little calibre. Foxes out to 200 yards no bother and vermin much farther. Popping crows and magpies is great fun! Have a look on YouTube for SI Snipes vids with this calibre. I can lend you some dies for a while if you like
    cheers
    simon
    Last edited by srvet; 14-05-2015 at 21:26.

My Brother has owned he's Sako 17rem for 25years or so ,awesome little tool ...I could never understand why these little gems are unpopular ..

Quote Originally Posted by Goingback View Post
    .17Rem not hmr..........
    I did get that....

It's called humour...
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

ha