17 Rem

ejg

Today I received an older rem 700 in 17rem. The one with the engraved action and drop plate.
I have no clue if the barrel is still useable but would like to try it before I butcher it into a 223 or similar.

How useful is this calibre on fox/crows etc? I have never even seen one being fired.
What factory ammo is useful say for fox?
edi

I had one. Factory ammo was available on order. Sweet shooting round that deals with foxes and smaller quite sweetly. .17Rem or .22cf - i'd go for .22

Today I received an older rem 700 in 17rem. The one with the engraved action and drop plate.
I have no clue if the barrel is still useable but would like to try it before I butcher it into a 223 or similar.

How useful is this calibre on fox/crows etc? I have never even seen one being fired.
What factory ammo is useful say for fox?
edi

Given the alleged capabilities of the 17 HMR, maybe you should offer it to Kim Jung-Il for his next execution....

I have the .17rem's little brother, the .17 fireball it is my main foxing rifle and kills cleanly out to 230m, Have killed crows over 500m and makes Rabbits inedible at 200m.

I sold my .22/250 as I preferred the quieter and soft shooting fireball ! Would I swap it for a .22CF ? short answer is NO

Hi Edi
17 rem is an awesome little calibre. Foxes out to 200 yards no bother and vermin much farther. Popping crows and magpies is great fun! Have a look on YouTube for SI Snipes vids with this calibre. I can lend you some dies for a while if you like
cheers
simon

Last edited:
My Brother has owned he's Sako 17rem for 25years or so ,awesome little tool ...I could never understand why these little gems are unpopular ..

Thanks for the answers, sounds all very positive except for the ammo situation.

srvet thanks for the offer. First I'll have to make a stock and get it all put together. It could make a lovely "truck gun".
I am lucky to have a gun safe at work and at home with some farms I check between the two....
edi

I had a Remmie 700 in 17remington some years ago. Cracking rifle,after a 22 hornet it felt like a big jump.
very accurate,barrel fouling was not,for mine,the big issue its meant to be.
Ammo became very expensive and a batch of the ammunition imported into Ireland didn't expand. This was not an issue on crows but on foxes. You could pick them up next day anything up to 100yds away.
With ammo that expanded it often resulted in a perfect,dead fox. Must be a great round for the fur trade.

I can support fully Splash's post @ #5, .17 Remington Fireball, main reason I no longer have / use .223, The brass issue is no longer a problem as 221 Fireball can be formed down to suit.

If anyone is interested there is a case of .17 Fireball in Hollow Farm shooting grounds. Ordered,never collected.
the price will be attractive to any potential buyer.
Co Down,NI. Delivery can be arranged.

If anyone is interested there is a case of .17 Fireball in Hollow Farm shooting grounds. Ordered,never collected.
the price will be attractive to any potential buyer.
Co Down,NI. Delivery can be arranged.
Been in touch, seems there may be around eighty rounds surviving, have made enquiries with the new owner of, Thanks Sika!

Back