Thread: European Energy/Velocity Requirements

European Energy/Velocity Requirements

So, purely out of interest. What are the laws regarding what cartridges are legal for hunting amongst our neighbours?

Just curious where we stand compared to them. I know a little but it's all muddled
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Here is a link to the laws for Denmark: Bekendtgørelse om våben og ammunition der må anvendes til jagt m.v. - retsinformation.dk

I believe the laws in the rest of Scandinavia are pretty similar.

This is the most relevant part (translated by Google)

3. Hunting Ammunition for rifled weapons may be used for hunting and control of these species, if the following requirements are met. See also Annex 1:1) For red deer, fallow deer, Sika deer, mouflon, wild boar and common seal and the wild species listed in no. 2-5, either bullet weight at least 9 g (139 gr) and impact energy E100 at least 2700 J, or bullet weight 10 g (154 gr) and impact energy E100 least 2000 J.
    2) To the deer and the wild species listed in no. 3-5, bullet weight at least 3.2 g (50 g) and impact energy E100 800 J.
    3) For the fox, raccoon dog, raccoon, rabbit, nutria, geese and cormorants, as well as the species of game listed in no. 4-5, Impact Energy E100 least 175 J.
    4) For the stone marten, polecat, mink, wild rabbit, muskrat, game birds, coot, ducks and gulls and the wild species listed in no. 5, impact energy E0 at least 150 J.
    5) For the pigeons, crows, starlings and shorebirds muzzle velocity V0 at least 200 m / sec.
    Paragraph. 2. For the purposes of hunting ammunition for rifled weapons for hunting or regulation of red deer, fallow deer, Sika deer, roe deer, mouflon, wild boar or common seal, the projectile be expanding.
    Paragraph. 3. Do not use weapons that can use the ammunition of caliber ∙ 50 BMG.
    I had originally quoted annexe A which listed examples of calibre, but I think this part is better as it specifies the energy requirements.

E100 is energy at 100 metres.

Anyone wishing to compare these with the British requirements may find this converter useful: Convert joules to foot pounds - Conversion of Measurement Units
    Last edited by Tartan_Terrier; 14-05-2015 at 21:42. Reason: Corrections

In the Kanton of Schaffhausen in Switzerland, below are the minimum requirements.

For Roe Deer the minimum calibre is 5.6mm (222Rem) with at least 1000 Joules of energy at 100m

For all other wild game such as Boar, Red Deer, Sika and Fallow, the minimum calibre is 6.5mm and 2000 Joules of energy at 100m

I found this page handy when I started hunting in Sweden:

http://jagareforbundet.se/jakten/hun...eden/#hunting7

Permitted firearms and ammunition
    Only rifles can be used for certain game, including moose, red deer and bear. For ammunition the following requirements apply. Bullets which weigh at least 10 grams (154 grains) must have an impact energy of at least 2.000 joules at 100 metres from the muzzle. Bullets which weigh between 9 and 10 grams (139-154 grains) must have an impact energy of at least 2.700 joules 100 metres from the muzzle.

Similar requirements also apply to hunting for fallow deer and wild boar. However, these game species can also be hunted with shotguns loaded with slug-ammunition. Only single-barrel shotguns can be used in this connection.

Beavers are also among the species which can be hunted only with rifles. For roe-deer hunting shotguns are allowed only between 1 October and 31 January. At other times rifles must be used. The minimum ammunition requirement for hunting beaver and roe deer is: bullet weight at least 3.2 grams (50 grains); impact energy of at least 800 joules 200 metres from the muzzle.

Fully jacketed bullets cannot be used for hunting any of the above species.

Shotguns which can be loaded with more than three cartridges may not be used. The largest permitted calibre is 12. Calibres smaller than 20 - with certain exceptions - cannot be used for hunting.

The biggest shot size allowed is number US 1 (4 mm).

In certain wetland areas it is forbidden to use lead-shotcartridges.

SD Regular
    Some countries have a minimum 10 gram (154 grain) weight in some calibres for some quarry. One country has a minimum 7mm calibre size so, in theory .270 Winchester is illegal by the nth degree of fractions of a millimetre.

In Germany for Roe deer the minimum calibre is not given but must at least give 1000 Joules of energy at 100m ( 19 Abs. 1 BJagdG).

For all other game Boar, Red Deer, Sika and Fallow, the minimum calibre is 6.5mm with 2000 Joules of energy at 100m.

Martin