Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .308 custom build for stalking

.308 custom build for stalking

I am thinking of having a custom build .308 to replace my CZ , dont want to use any part of the CZ, its a great rifle but dont like the fact it is a top loader, prefer a mag so for that reason the action is out, quite keen on McMillan fully adjustabe stock, but open to any ideas
    what I want is something Light and shoots straight on,if you were to build a really nice .308 Stalking rifle with a fully adjustable stock ( need this as i put my night vision on it for boar) what would you use, stock , barell , trigger etc , budget is around the 3 grand mark, can go over but dont want to spend more than needed also need a sound moderator, needs to be light as i am not as young as i used to be
    and any recomendations on gunsmiths to do the build would be great
    cheers in advance
    Ray
    Last edited by Ray7756; 14-05-2015 at 22:08.

A custom or a semi-custom?
    Either way Steve Kershaw is a very good riflesmith.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

What kind of weight are you thinking of, say rifle without scope or mod?
    edi

Try James at Jager Sporting, Jager SA on here.

Oh eye, how could I forget him. Me rifles there at the moment!
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    What kind of weight are you thinking of, say rifle without scope or mod?
    edi
    As light as possible with scope and mod,,,, scope not included in budget,,,,, thinking swarovski, so that would blow the 3 grand budget,, budjet just for rifle build
    Last edited by Ray7756; 14-05-2015 at 22:35.

In that case weigh and compare every component. Maybe keep us in touch what bits you are thinking of, others might have alternative ideas.
    Plenty options out there, however some rifle smiths are more target heavy rifle orientated or to conservative with materials or methods.
    For some of my light rifles I would blend my own lightweight but strong bedding materials as an example, doesn't save much but it all adds up.
    edi

Buy a Tikka T-3 Lite stainless and have all the best. I shoot mine almost every evening and it is a sweet, sweet rifle. I'm not sure a custom maker could make a better rifle for the hunter afoot.~Muir

Ray

Have a word with Grant Taylor in Dundee about your build.

Regards

JCS

Quote Originally Posted by Ray7756 View Post
    As light as possible with scope and mod,,,, scope not included in budget,,,,, thinking swarovski, so that would blow the 3 grand budget,, budjet just for rifle build
    Lightweight is important to both my brother and I.
    My brother has a Tikka T3 Lite and I have a Sako 75 Finnlight both in .243. The .308 in either would fit the lightweight requirement, however a new Finnlight would put a dent in the budget before thinking of a custom stock.

When I was considering a semi-custom build of a .260 Rem, based on a Sako 75 action I consulted both ejg and Gr1ffer. Both were very helpful.

My enquiries showed that there is much more availability of lightweight stocks for the T3 than for the Sakos (75 and 85).

So far I have bought a Sako factory synthetic stock for my .260, from an SD member and will see how I get on with it.

Gr1ffer told me that they could make a lightweight stock for it and Edi advised that he could convert one from his T3 moulds, so there is a quality choice out there, without having to import from the USA.

As Muir said, the Tikka T3 Lite takes some beating, when one looks at price, weight, reliability, accuracy and availability of both the rifle and stocks.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.