Thread: Thanks Jager SA

Thanks Jager SA

As above!
    A while ago I decided that I needed a new rifle (no really I did). So I started looking around and decided that I could not find what I wanted, a magazine that I could top feed as well, a 24" or longer barrel in a calibre that I had not yet decided on!
    So I phoned a few gun smiths and plumbers for advise and ideas, James just stood out and took the time to call a few times during the next couple of months we came up with a plan. I now had to find an action I had chosen to use a Sako 75 iv action to give me options in the calibre stakes, so after lots of oh I sold it yesterday or pictures showing guns not to be quite as the add said or premium prices I found a 270 Finnlight up north for a good price. The rifle was sent straight to James and then the phone call what calibre? I decided on 260 remington so I could use the mountain of 243 or 308 brass I had yes I'm that tight.
    Today was the day I finally got to see it! It was better than I expected I had said to James I don't really mind what it looks like just as long as it shoots! Well it looks so much better than I expected!
    and the added bonus, I through some rounds together and am shooting about an inch without really trying, I have tweeked the loads abit and will have another go in the morning! Pics to follow when I work out how! All being well she will start culling tomorrow!
    Thanks James your a gent.

Quote Originally Posted by Home Loader View Post
    As above!
    A while ago I decided that I needed a new rifle (no really I did). So I started looking around and decided that I could not find what I wanted, a magazine that I could top feed as well, a 24" or longer barrel in a calibre that I had not yet decided on!
    So I phoned a few gun smiths and plumbers for advise and ideas, James just stood out and took the time to call a few times during the next couple of months we came up with a plan. I now had to find an action I had chosen to use a Sako 75 iv action to give me options in the calibre stakes, so after lots of oh I sold it yesterday or pictures showing guns not to be quite as the add said or premium prices I found a 270 Finnlight up north for a good price. The rifle was sent straight to James and then the phone call what calibre? I decided on 260 remington so I could use the mountain of 243 or 308 brass I had yes I'm that tight.
    Today was the day I finally got to see it! It was better than I expected I had said to James I don't really mind what it looks like just as long as it shoots! Well it looks so much better than I expected!
    and the added bonus, I through some rounds together and am shooting about an inch without really trying, I have tweeked the loads abit and will have another go in the morning! Pics to follow when I work out how! All being well she will start culling tomorrow!
    Thanks James your a gent.
    Are you using converted .243 or .308 cases in your custom .260 successfully .... re. your post? This contrasts with another post - same stable.

Forming .260 from .243 Brass

I'm not doubting that chambering reformed cases isn't possible in some rifles, but this is perplexing.

I'm just wondering if the reason is that re-barrelled rifles are turned out to tighter tolerances than standard factory rifles. I've used hundreds of necked up Federal .25-06 in my Tikka .270 without problems, so wouldn't have thought that such a small alteration on a similar scale could cause such grief to others.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Are you using converted .243 or .308 cases in your custom .260 successfully .... re. your post? This contrasts with another post - same stable.

I'm not doubting that chambering reformed cases isn't possible in some rifles, but this is perplexing.

I'm just wondering if the reason is that re-barrelled rifles are turned out to tighter tolerances than standard factory rifles. I've used hundreds of necked up Federal .25-06 in my Tikka .270 without problems, so wouldn't have thought that such a small alteration on a similar scale could cause such grief to others.
    Sinistral. I am very pleased that Home Loader has been successful and suspect that my failure is due to my lack of skill and/or the right tools.
    I wouldn't want to discourage anyone else from trying but thought it right to give an honest update.

It is definitely not the new barrel (fitted by James) that is the problem, as new brass fits and shoots fine.
    As I am only a few miles south of you, you would be most welcome to call in and have a look at the reformed brass and the rifle.
    Hopefully you could put me on the right course ?
    Best regards.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post

Hello folks, I must admit after the above thread I was a touch nervous about my brass but I've neaked up a 100 Federal .243 and am having no problems! I have just lubricated the cases and put them through a hornady full lenght die then trimmed and cleaned, then loaded and fired. bobs your your uncle, so far she seems to like the warmer stuff. 123 a-max 44gr of elcho 17 with a fed 210 primer or same bullet with 43.5 of elcho 17 and a fed magnum match 215 primer are both producing sub inch!
    Happy days!