Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannabis V Alcohol?

Cannabis V Alcohol?

Watching the ever ageing police television programmes it seems a huge proportion of their time and resources catching folk carrying weed. Helicopters and 4AM Red Keys for a bit of personal. My belief is that the weed has never been proven to have caused a violent act but nip down to your nearest A&E and see what drink will do tonight.
    Is the money spent on catching kids in cars with a joint well spent?

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    If they're driving while impaired by it, it's as well-spent as trying to catch anyone else driving while impaired by anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    Watching the ever ageing police television programmes it seems a huge proportion of their time and resources catching folk carrying weed. Helicopters and 4AM Red Keys for a bit of personal. My belief is that the weed has never been proven to have caused a violent act but nip down to your nearest A&E and see what drink will do tonight.

Forgetting the driving aspect, it is an utter waste of time and resources.
    But let me tell you why Officers are encouraged to deal with youths who are in possession of a wee bit of cannabis.

Under Home Office Counting rules, a cannabis seizure, irrespective of how small can be shown as a 'detected' and solved crime. It's a valuable tool in the senior managements bag of figure massaging tricks.

Essentially on paper it increases the forces percentage of solved crimes. Being mindful of the resources, time, and expense it takes to convict a burglar or robber to get the same 'detected' solved crime status, it isnt difficult to see why nicking someone, or issuing a cannabis warning is viewed as an easier and more cost effective way of making your force look good at solving crimes, other than spending vast chunks of your budget trying to catch a more serious offender to get a lesser result.
    Last edited by Cadex; 16-05-2015 at 22:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    Forgetting the driving aspect, it is an utter waste of time and resources.
    If possession and use weren't against the law, I'd be inclined to agree.

However if indeed we have laws that are an utter waste of time and resources to enforce, these ought perhaps to be recognised as bad laws, and repealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    If possession and use weren't against the law, I'd be inclined to agree.

However if indeed we have laws that are an utter waste of time and resources to enforce, these ought perhaps to be recognised as bad laws, and repealed.
    Agreed.

Let them get on with it and learn from their mistakes, don't make criminals from them

Stabbings, fights and domestic violence directly attributed to alcohol clog our courts and hospitals none have been proven to have been caused by weed?
    I could round 20 heroin zombies up every day who get council funded taxis to the pharmacies for their daily fixes of methadone. They rob and sit on playstations all day and make our town centres look like the video "thriller". But a hard working guy with a spliff in his pocket goes to jail...

I have always said that the first person to invent a field sobriety test for cannabis will be a millionaire overnight. At this moment, the science of drunk vs sober is fairly clearcut and can be tested by the most inept cop (not calling cops inept). Cannabis however requires blood tests, chains of custody, etc....

if a state could find a way to actually measure and test for impairment, I believe that state would legalize and tax heavily (at the rate of alcohol) and be in for a windfall of Cash. Think of the taxes in, the fines and civil seizures rather than jail for intoxication, and the reduction in incarcerated persons.

Unfortunately, the current state of affairs, at least in the US, is a no win situation. One of the questions on the Federal form for the sale/transfer of a firearm asks if you are or have been an illegal user of marijuana. There is only one right answer. If you say yes - you are denied sale (and could be prosecuted). If you say no, but have used in the past and they can find proof, then you have committed perjury on a federal form and are also guilty. Even if you are in a state that allows medical marijuana, the federal govt still classifies all marijuana as illegal, so you still could not answer no on the form truthfully.

Alcohol & Tobacco, legal, taxed & toxic, killing hundreds of thousands or more a YEAR, a massive financial cost associated with the legalities, medical costs and incarceration of those affected families & the innocent victims....what gets done about this already known plague? very little, because many billions are being made from this and as we all know money is power.

Weed.....Illegal & cause's almost none of the issues mentioned, but despite this there is a war against this drug, costing billions....Oh and by itself has never killed anyone, and to put this in a timeframe.......ever!

Yet we accept this as normal and are shocked, stunned & disgusted by anything associated with this Drug taking, I find the whole debate laughable along with the government & police policy on this subject & some others. If only we looked around the world in which we live with our eyes open.

Is the jury still out on that stuff causing mental instability over time / strength of the weed?, I know at least one person who went downhill fast after becoming dependent on it. How many inpatients in mental care are as a result of it?.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!