Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Variation possibly, what you reckon?

Variation possibly, what you reckon?

I've sold one of the .22 LR's I had and the thought crossed my mind of applying for a variation on the empty slot while I send my cert off.

I have = .22 fac air, .22LR, .17HMR, .243. What else would be useful and what would be "good reason"? How about .17 or .22 centre fire ? Maybe something to replace the .17hmr

I know I don't NEED another rifle but that doesn't stop me wanting one.

Any thoughts gents ?

204 Ruger would fit in your collection very nicely ..

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    I've sold one of the .22 LR's I had and the thought crossed my mind of applying for a variation on the empty slot while I send my cert off.

I have = .22 fac air, .22LR, .17HMR, .243. What else would be useful and what would be "good reason"? How about .17 or .22 centre fire ? Maybe something to replace the .17hmr

I know I don't NEED another rifle but that doesn't stop me wanting one.

Any thoughts gents ?
    I feel if you can't think of a 'good reason', than that means that you don't have a good reason!
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Sell the HMR and buy a .22 Hornet perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    I feel if you can't think of a 'good reason', than that means that you don't have a good reason!
    +1 never really understood the don't need it but want it bit, rifle is a tool to do a job if you can't think of a good reason for adding another then you don't need it, if you don't need it why bother, what are you going to do with it? Look at it?

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    +1 never really understood the don't need it but want it bit, rifle is a tool to do a job if you can't think of a good reason for adding another then you don't need it, if you don't need it why bother, what are you going to do with it? Look at it?
    I'll use it, at least to see if it would be better than an existing calibre. I obviously don't need another as I have all bases covered, but I may find a different calibre would suit my needs better ! Only one way to find out.

Several folk have said .204, which I may find more useful than the .17hmr.

I totally get the don't really need but want. I'm sure if we all tried really hard, we could manage with, say one rimfire and one centrefire. Where's the fun in that though?

I would suggest that if your .243 is a walk-around rifle then a heavier barrelled varmint in .204 or a .22 calibre would be a good idea. (I struggle when people get excited about the difference between .222 and .223, but I feel that .223 gives you a wider choice of rifles if nothing else.) Your 'good reason' might then be a rifle to use for longer range work off the car bonnet. If your .243 already fits this task, then how about a .22 centrefire to use with a permanent night vision setup?

Or, if you shoot larger deer, why not jump up in calibres and feed the .243 with 58gr ballistics for fox at impressive speeds?

regards

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitter View Post
    I totally get the don't really need but want. I'm sure if we all tried really hard, we could manage with, say one rimfire and one centrefire. Where's the fun in that though?

I would suggest that if your .243 is a walk-around rifle then a heavier barrelled varmint in .204 or a .22 calibre would be a good idea. (I struggle when people get excited about the difference between .222 and .223, but I feel that .223 gives you a wider choice of rifles if nothing else.) Your 'good reason' might then be a rifle to use for longer range work off the car bonnet. If your .243 already fits this task, then how about a .22 centrefire to use with a permanent night vision setup?

Or, if you shoot larger deer, why not jump up in calibres and feed the .243 with 58gr ballistics for fox at impressive speeds?

regards

Ian
    So far only munties around where I shoot, which is not a million miles from you (Pensax way). I have seen what I thought to be roe but it was through nv and in scrub so no clear sight, big for a munty though. I know there's roe in Dunley, which isn't far as the deer flies.
    The .243 is probably as big as I want, or need, to go.
    I was told about boar over that way, have you seen anything?

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    In your opinion it is a tool but to most people that shoot it is a toy that does a job of work occasionally.And you cannot have too many toys.If you need to paint some window frames you could manage with a 1 inch brush but a 1/2 inch brush is easier to use.Guns are the same if you want to shoot rabbits or crows at 350 metres you could manage with a 223 but it is slightly easier with a 22-250 so why not buy both.Then you may need something a bit quieter so you can go and buy a 22 hornet,now you only need the 22-250 it will do everything you need but it is your hobby so why not