Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parker Hale 1300c Scout - magazine feed issue

Parker Hale 1300c Scout - magazine feed issue

Sorry for revisiting the Parker Hale poor magazine feed subject again however, I don't seem to be able to find any info on my particular issue.

The rifle is awesomely accurate and just perfect for the woodland stalking that I mostly do. The problem is the superclip magazine holds the rounds so poorly that the bolt does not always pick the round up and I have to gently press the rounds in the magazine in a way that allows the head of the cartridge to sit up properly against the magazine lips.

Additionally I have noticed that there is a very small amount of play when the magazine is clicked home that allows the mag to be raised very slightly. Thinking this was the problem, I have simulated lifting the magazine slightly to see if the bolt picked up the rounds more consistently and the bolt actually fouls the mag lips.

I know this magazine was made for both the 1200 and scout series of rifles with the .243 and .308 scout versions having a spacer for the shorter brass.

So if if the mag is sitting correctly is there anything I can do to make the rounds sit better in the mag?

Thanks

Backstop

Swap the bottom metal and mag for a standard Parker Hale floorplate mag and spring follower .
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler 1933

Thanks for the idea Waterford103. I had considered this but thought finding the bottom metal and floor plate would be hard and expensive. Any ideas where I might get one?

thanks

I would have a word with Norman Clark in Rugby about this. I understand he acquired a load of PH parts at one stage

Will do, thanks for the input. I may well post a 'wanted' post too in case I'm lucky enough to find one out there.

Norma clark has pattern bottom metal that is new and "in the white"
    I bought one to replace a horrible Ram Head allot one on a Midland

with the feed issue is it missing the head completely?
    if there is enough metal open up the feed lips so the spring pushes the rounds up higher even when the mag is sitting low

as for fouling the mag that is just a bit of metal removal with a dremmel

post some pics up but I would hold on to the mag system.
    worse can I will have it off you and get some bottom metal for you!!

Hi Bewsher500,

Thanks for the info. Yes the bolt does completely miss the case head when the rounds are sitting awkwardly in the mag. See photo. But not when they are snug to the feeder lips.

i have tried to open the mag lips slightly and there was a tendency for the remaining rounds to eject when ejecting the spent brass.

the magazine just looks so poorly made for the rounds. I would rather keep a box mag as I prefer them. However, if a floor plate setup solves the feeding issue then I'm prepared to give it a try.

thanks

pictures attached.

You could try and get hold of a mag from a m86-7, I think they hold 5/6 rounds, but they do hang down a little more.I`m sure this could be fixed rather than change the bottom metal. There is also a ten round mag which would be even longer.

This may seem over simplistic but strip it down and stretch the spring so there is a firmer lift might help?

David.

Quote Originally Posted by glen13 View Post
    You could try and get hold of a mag from a m86-7, I think they hold 5/6 rounds, but they do hang down a little more.I`m sure this could be fixed rather than change the bottom metal. There is also a ten round mag which would be even longer.
    I have a ten round mag that Bill lent me to try and the same problem occurs. The rounds don't sit snugly to the feed lip.