Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how do you load real data into a ballistics app (which one)?

how do you load real data into a ballistics app (which one)?

I have a load that I chrono'd (now I am beginning to wonder how accurate it is)
    I have now shot at 105 and 210 yds and have ACTUAL drops (only issue is I dont have an exact zero distance as it is zeroed high at 100)
    I have the BC

now I have tried both BulletDrop+ which I bought for the phone and ipad
    and the online ShootersCalculator.com

I can't replicate the data at all and am desperately trying to get a chart for ranges in between and further out
    210yd data is almost an inch higher, which makes me think that the error at 300, 400, 500 etc is going to be waaaay off

I have altered zero distance, BC (down) and even changed MV to replicate real data
    I have even knocked the MV down by almost 200fps to a comically low figure compared to load data
    I have use G1, G5, G7 data

this is a first for me as I have always just zeroed for MPBR and held over for anything out to 300+
    not been a turret twiddler and never had a rifle I wanted to plink out to longer ranges either

Now what?
    short of shooting actual targets at 300, 400, 500 and measuring drop I will can only think of adjusting elevation on guesswork and trying to work out the difference between elevation adjustment and actual drop...which sounds worse....

to compound matters I have drop data from 130yds and 230yds with a different zero and those don't tally up with the drops at 109 and 209yds!

the drop at 230yds appears to low according to the calculators

The apps are all similar with perhaps the exception of Brian Litz Applied ballistics. I am a turret user and generally the data is accurate but not always matching the result. Obviously there is the **** in **** out rule, but my inclination is to shoot the rifle at all the required distances and establish your elevation settings, compare to the App as a double check. The wind/ deflection readings are also quite good but of course wind effect and all the other spin drift and coriolis stuff has an effect as well which can be different to the computer generated reading because the wind can be a bit unpredictable.
    A recent experience with 260 put the App spot on up to 400 metres but then it was well under the adjustments for 5 and 600. Either way I would not adjust on Mr Litz alone or any of the other apps without testing the data. I love this stuff but there is no substitute for a written chart!

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdmatch View Post
    The apps are all similar with perhaps the exception of Brian Litz Applied ballistics. I am a turret user and generally the data is accurate but not always matching the result. Obviously there is the **** in **** out rule, but my inclination is to shoot the rifle at all the required distances and establish your elevation settings, compare to the App as a double check. The wind/ deflection readings are also quite good but of course wind effect and all the other spin drift and coriolis stuff has an effect as well which can be different to the computer generated reading because the wind can be a bit unpredictable.
    A recent experience with 260 put the App spot on up to 400 metres but then it was well under the adjustments for 5 and 600. Either way I would not adjust on Mr Litz alone or any of the other apps without testing the data. I love this stuff but there is no substitute for a written chart!

thanks
    I will of course test it but my theory is the jump from 200 and then the ranges I can shoot at are 600 and then 1000!
    if it is off by 1-2" at 200 then it is going to be WELL off at 1000!

Not sure about bulletdrop app but applied ballistics has a truing facility so you change the data based on real world bullet drop

I like the Applied Ballistics App from Bryan Litz. There's a forum to post questions on and Bryan himself will respond to queries.

Ballistics Bullets Board

I would however say that the learning curve is pretty steep and that after 8 months I'm still struggling to get a grip on all the variables.

Regards

JCS

Quote Originally Posted by gr1ffer View Post
    Not sure about bulletdrop app but applied ballistics has a truing facility so you change the data based on real world bullet drop
    Correct, but it seems to use quite long ranges.

How do I access the Ballistic Calibration interface?

Regards

JCS

I use Ballistics AE. Before you buy it, if you post the zero height, which bullet you are using and the velocity it's going at (and distance from chrony to muzzle) I'll pop it in and post the chart.

See how accurate it is. I've only used it for .22lr in this capacity
    Last edited by Greener Jim; 17-05-2015 at 21:13.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Bewsh, you need a starting point which will be an exact zero distance without this you are wasting your time and effort.

Ian.

Couldn't it be run at X" high at 100 yards? Maybe not perfect but we would see how close it matches up.

I do concede however that an exact zero high would be better
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me