British, cut rifled barrel manufacturers?

Sasson Engineering have all the ex Border machines but are currently only producing button rifled barrels. GB barrels have a cut rifling machine and are starting producing barrels soon. Armalon makes hammer forged barrels.

So, this is not very encouraging. I was hoping to put together a rifle made entirely from British components but it is proving rather difficult at the moment!

Oh yeah, the numbers are 07788257976 and 07966554508.

I think it's perfectly possible to build British mate. It will just require more time, research and most likely cost. You'll get there with it.

There are some top notch people in middle England doing cut rifled barrels but I do not think they deal with the public or trade for that matter any more.

Hi Guys just thought i would put in my 2 Cents.

We (Sassen\Border) currently produce Button Barrels. We have all the Border machinery including the two Pratt and Whitney sine bar rifling machines and also the Pratt and Whitney hydraulic machine. Unfortunately due to high demand on the button side we have not been able to start production on Cut rifling. However the machinery is in place and we hope to do this very soon.

as mentioned earlier, there is a company GB barrels who are starting to cut rifle. They are both fantastic guys and we wish them all the best (a little competition doesn't heart anyone). We still keep in contact with them and know that they are very close to starting production.

Just out of interest. Why do you want a cut rifle barrel? what will you be shooting? Will you be building the rifle yourself?

regards

Adam

I would say the high demand for 300 button cut barrels ordered from Sassen/ Border Barrels speaks volumes. The gunsmiths who ordered that number must know something.

Hi Guys just thought i would put in my 2 Cents.

We (Sassen\Border) currently produce Button Barrels. We have all the Border machinery including the two Pratt and Whitney sine bar rifling machines and also the Pratt and Whitney hydraulic machine. Unfortunately due to high demand on the button side we have not been able to start production on Cut rifling. However the machinery is in place and we hope to do this very soon.

as mentioned earlier, there is a company GB barrels who are starting to cut rifle. They are both fantastic guys and we wish them all the best (a little competition doesn't heart anyone). We still keep in contact with them and know that they are very close to starting production.

Just out of interest. Why do you want a cut rifle barrel? what will you be shooting? Will you be building the rifle yourself?

regards

Adam

Hi Adam,

thanks for chipping in with an informative post.

It's good to hear you wishing a competitor well too: a really refreshing change from the personal back-biting that so often blights relations in the gun trade. It does you credit.

I wish more people would let your products speak for themselves rather than trying to promote them by running down others. Personally, the moment someone starts on that tack I'm strongly inclined to take my custom elsewhere.

All the best,

Mr.G.

Hi Adam,

thanks for chipping in with an informative post.

It's good to hear you wishing a competitor well too: a really refreshing change from the personal back-biting that so often blights relations in the gun trade. It does you credit.

I wish more people would let your products speak for themselves rather than trying to promote them by running down others. Personally, the moment someone starts on that tack I'm strongly inclined to take my custom elsewhere.

All the best,

Mr.G.

+1

So, this is not very encouraging. I was hoping to put together a rifle made entirely from British components but it is proving rather difficult at the moment!

Literally just done this after not far off 12 months it seems, maybe longer. 100% british rifle thanks to DCR and Danny at SSS. The only thing that won't be British on it will be the scope and probably the bipod. Should have it early next week. Can't wait. The build was delayed because of the barrel. John at DCR managed to track down a border archer in the end whilst the changes were going on at Border.

Well done Jax, that's quite an achievement! I may have a chat with the guys at DCR and see if I can visit them as they are not that far away from me. I think some of these gun component companies would benefit greatly from trade membership on this site. Much confusion seems to come about when people enquire about certain companies who are not officially represented on here.

regards

Adam
Hi Adam,
I won't be building any rifles myself!
I will be shooting different kinds of large mammals
and
I want a cut rifled barrel because these are not as commonly met with as button rifled barrels. For me, the whole point of a custom build rifle is to end up with something beautiful, interesting and unusual, whilst remaining functional, accurate and reliable.

Slightly off topic Gentlemen but I have always wondered about the perception of cut barrels being superior to buttoned barrels ? Does that perception still exist ? I have no bias one way or the other. However, when the bloke that builds ones rifles, shoots button barrels in his F Open rifles, one is most certainly influenced.

Mike.

Back