Rifle purchase abroad

Bali

I am going to treat myself to a new rifle, the rifle in question will be a Merkel Helix in 30-06. I have a slot on my FAC but want to buy it in France or Germany as the Euro is good, there is quite a saving to be had. I will also be in the wife's good books as we will have a weekend away. Can any one advise me on the paper work needed and any likely problems. Contact with some one who has actually bought abroad would be great. I travel abroad with a rifle Boar hunting so I know all the airport and airline procedure. I will probably drive over to pick up the rifle. If any one can recommend a dealer/shop that wood be good to
Thanks
Nick

I did the same thing, had a slot on my FAC, went to Germany, bought a 30.06.I put it on my FAC myself the gunshop stamped it and gave me a bill of sale. When I got home I informed my FLO, you could always contact them first and take their advice.

When was that munty1? I only ask as every dealer in Germany I have contacted and friends experiences too, have said they need to see an export certificate, but, no such thing exists (checked with hmrc and police etc) but it it a bit of a brick wall if they won't part with it......

All dealt with on this thread with references and contacts: http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/103011-Wild-Boar-in-Czech

Suggest you obtain the 'import licence not required for UK' email or letter from our Import Licensing Branch of the Dept BIS and get that to your chosen retailer along with the supporting UK documentation stating same. If they can't understand the ramifications of the EU Weapons Directive, or are unwilling to check their end, you'll have an uphill struggle. If you keep at it then the rewards can make it worthwhile.

BTW. Have you looked at Frankonia Jagd for pricing? They have offers on some models of the Helix, (the SWF5 driven rifle is particularly attractive in that respect), know that your UK FAC is all that is required at this end, and will ship direct to you in the UK for around 130 euro plus 30-40 euro for the Transfer Licence: http://www.frankonia.de/search.html?query=Merkel+Helix

Yes good advice I will contact my FLO but something tells me I might know more than them :doh: There are a couple of export licence forms you can download from the German Egun site. It will be possible just a bit of paper work

There is a government department that deals with this I thing it is called the Dept.of Business skills and they use the SPIRE system for import and export.When I took mine abroad I did not need a license for personal use , but The Spanish would not accept this and this department sorted it out for me.
Their no is or was 2 years ago 02072155000.They should be able to tell you what is needed if anything by either France or Germany.They were really helpful .

Tony

Wow, thanks Orion plenty of reading and great info
Thanks
Nick

You're welcome. :tiphat:

If you decide to enquire or purchase with Frankonia give me a PM and I'll dig out the details of the guy in their sales dept who is au fait with the UK import requirements, (or lack of them!).

When was that munty1? I only ask as every dealer in Germany I have contacted and friends experiences too, have said they need to see an export certificate, but, no such thing exists (checked with hmrc and police etc) but it it a bit of a brick wall if they won't part with it......

Some time ago, went through all the bits about export licences, but these are for people who do not have a licence to hold a Firearm (Postman ect) . As you have a FAC with a slot on it that should be all you need, although someone in some department will try and make it as complicated as they can.

You're welcome. :tiphat:

If you decide to enquire or purchase with Frankonia give me a PM and I'll dig out the details of the guy in their sales dept who is au fait with the UK import requirements, (or lack of them!).

Will do
Nick

I would guess that you would need a copy of your EFP as well? I would wire the money to the dealer first or pay by credit card. I would then ask the retailer to give me the rifle's serial number. Then I would have my EFP updated and FAC as well.

Well I have got the ball rolling and have been invited to a Merkel day by Laurent Riffaut who has an armoury in France. I understand some members on this site go there to practice on the cinema range. The other thing to do is post a for sale notice for my hunting buddy the trusted 30-06 Parker Hale, the most underrated rifle going

Well I have got the ball rolling and have been invited to a Merkel day by Laurent Riffaut who has an armoury in France.

Ah, Calvados country! Double the reason to go then.

There is no reason to have your EFP updated at the UK end prior to importation. According to my FLD, an entry on your EFP would follow once the rifle was in your possession, entered on your FAC, and would be made by them at that stage.

This is confirmed by the entry in the Firearms Import Policy section of the UK Border Force Manual

4.2.2 UK residents returning with a firearm purchased in another Member
State or being sent to them by mail order.
• Firearms/Shot Gun Certificate issued by the Police for the
area in which the importer lives; and
• Transfer Licence issued in the Member State of purchase.
Firearms may be imported against police authority to acquire or purchase
noted in the importer's Firearm Certificate.

Nick,

What kind of pricing are Laurent Riffaut offering on the Helix?

Nick,

What kind of pricing are Laurent Riffaut offering on the Helix?

​No idea at the moment I am waiting to hear back from them, its a shame they don't have images and prices on their site. I need to give them my spec but then I am limited on what I have seen myself.

All dealt with on this thread with references and contacts: http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/103011-Wild-Boar-in-Czech

Suggest you obtain the 'import licence not required for UK' email or letter from our Import Licensing Branch of the Dept BIS and get that to your chosen retailer along with the supporting UK documentation stating same. If they can't understand the ramifications of the EU Weapons Directive, or are unwilling to check their end, you'll have an uphill struggle. If you keep at it then the rewards can make it worthwhile.

BTW. Have you looked at Frankonia Jagd for pricing? They have offers on some models of the Helix, (the SWF5 driven rifle is particularly attractive in that respect), know that your UK FAC is all that is required at this end, and will ship direct to you in the UK for around 130 euro plus 30-40 euro for the Transfer Licence: http://www.frankonia.de/search.html?query=Merkel+Helix

I recently made inquiries of Frankonia's International Department regarding the purchase of an R8 barrel. They spoke English and were friendly and helpful. After making inquiries re: import licence (only required for an importer/distributor) I reached a similar conclusion i.e. no need for an Import licence. However, Frankonia wanted to see proof - I already had the email confirming it was not required.

In addition, they then informed me that they would need to seek an an export licence, that they charged a processing fee for obtaining such and that they would only be prepared to ship the barrel to a UK RFD. The cost differential became relatively small thereafter. Furthermore, in my case wanting an Blaser R8 barrel and bolt head, the UK spec for barrels typically includes a threaded barrel with spigot but in Germany that is an extra. Again the cost differential was reduced. Just be sure you understand what comes as standard...

Will do.
Part of the excitement is the challenge of buying abroad. Looking at a UK distributor and the chap in France there is an £650 difference for the same spec

I recently made inquiries of Frankonia's International Department regarding the purchase of an R8 barrel. They spoke English and were friendly and helpful. After making inquiries re: import licence (only required for an importer/distributor) I reached a similar conclusion i.e. no need for an Import licence. However, Frankonia wanted to see proof - I already had the email confirming it was not required.

In addition, they then informed me that they would need to seek an an export licence, that they charged a processing fee for obtaining such and that they would only be prepared to ship the barrel to a UK RFD. The cost differential became relatively small thereafter. Furthermore, in my case wanting an Blaser R8 barrel and bolt head, the UK spec for barrels typically includes a threaded barrel with spigot but in Germany that is an extra. Again the cost differential was reduced. Just be sure you understand what comes as standard...

This is why filling out the forms for an import licence is the way forward it is simple takes less than 5 mins and you then meet requirements needed at the other end you also are then your own rfd and it can be sent direct to your home simples, atb wayne

I am really enjoying this thread! I think there are great savings to be made over the channel and it is something I am seriously looking into it.

has anyone ever bought directly from a Frankonia shop/ outlet? If so what paper work did they want to see before letting you go( with the rifle)?

Back