Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disposal of used shotgun cartridges

Disposal of used shotgun cartridges

I just had a call from the local police re two fired shotgun cartridges found in the street in my area.
    I said I hadn't dropped any and in fact hadn't used my shotgun for a while. Also I only use #6 and these were 7 1/2.

The sergeant was ok about it, just said that they had been found and some people can get worked up about that sort of thing.
    He didn't mention it but I know there is a school not far away from where they were found.

Sometimes my used loose ones go into our wheely bin but I'm now thinking it's probably best if they are bagged first.
    None of us need the hassle.

Just a wee heads up.

ps... when I saw the "number withheld" on the phone display I almost didn't answer it, thought it was another ppi claim or something. Glad I answered.
    Last edited by private fraser; 18-05-2015 at 13:13.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

If they were 7 1/2 then good chance from a clay shoot. I know around her that some of the clay grounds have open days for schools, scout and guide groups etc so would fit i with teh school

Yes, I mentioned to the sergeant that 7 1/2 was a clay size. There is a clay range a few miles away too.

Wheely bin for mine, but I bag them first.

I'm sure your sergeant was indeed ok about it, but it kind of riles me that their immediate reaction was to contact any SGC holders in the area to effectively issue a warning, informal as it may have been. As far as I'm aware, spent shotgun cartridges are treated no different to any other household rubbish, and indeed can be picked from the ground by anyone, at practically any time, and at practically any clay shoot in the land. I wonder if that same sergeant will be contacting the schools to 'warn' the schoolchildren about people getting worked up about discarded coke cans, sweet wrappers, crisp bags, etc...............
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    I just had a call from the local police re two fired shotgun cartridges found in the street in my area.
    I said I hadn't dropped any and in fact hadn't used my shotgun for a while. Also I only use #6 and these were 7 1/2.

The sergeant was ok about it, just said that they had been found and some people can get worked up about that sort of thing.
    He didn't mention it but I know there is a school not far away from where they were found.

Sometimes my used loose ones go into our wheely bin but I'm now thinking it's probably best if they are bagged first.
    None of us need the hassle.

Just a wee heads up.

ps... when I saw the "number withheld" on the phone display I almost didn't answer it, thought it was another ppi claim or something. Glad I answered.
    Are the police in your area looking for something to do, what's all the fuss about you can pick up fired shotgun cartridges almost anywhere.

Big bloody deal, the police around here have probably got more sense and a lot more worthwhile things to do than bother themselves over a couple of fired cases which a kid has probably dropped.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

It's a phone call that probably took a minute or two. The revolution can wait....

I wonder if it's been recorded somewhere (duty log?) that the OP received a phone call regarding cartridge cases 'found on the street'? That sort of thing could come back to bite a completely innocent person come renewal time. Perhaps the 'revolution' shouldn't be waiting too long?

I wouldn't be particularly happy about it...........
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

If someone reported it they are probably obligated to follow it up, and I don't blame them.
    Some worried mum taking kids to school maybe but who knows.

Re recorded somewhere... yep, it's gone in my diary .
    I'm not worried about it though, as I say, the guy sounded fine.
    Just thought a heads up wouldn't do any harm.

I'm sure it'll be just fine.

I just find it slightly disquieting that instead of a reassuring 'Don't worry they're perfectly harmless, just throw them in the bin' response to anyone reporting them, someone saw fit to contact (most probably)perfectly innocent and responsible SGC holders in the area. Seems to me the immediate onus of responsibility for this was placed on them. Maybe I'm just being overly-critical, but that leaves a slight bad taste in my mouth...........