Safe disposal of unknown primers

Wapinschaw

I have found a number of small pistol primers at the back of my cupboard. I don't know if they are rifle or pistol, what make or how old they are. What is the most certain way to make them safe for disposal?

Just flatten them with a nice, heavy hammer....

Wearing earplugs :oops:

Just dunk them in water. I recently primed 50 cartridges without realising the ammo case was slightly damp inside. Even that tiny amount of water screwed every single primer well & truly :banghead:

I have found a number of small pistol primers at the back of my cupboard. I don't know if they are rifle or pistol, what make or how old they are. What is the most certain way to make them safe for disposal?

Just out of interest why weren't they in the original packaging?

Just out of interest why weren't they in the original packaging?

They will have been removed from the packing when I was priming cases. I find it difficult to extract individual primers from the type of tray they are packed in, and so my usual practice is to tip a tray of primers into a Sierra Bullets plastic flip top box that I keep for this purpose, along with the label from the sleeve of the primer tray to identify them. That way I can take as many or as few as I need for a reloading session. In this instance the label has been lost, that's why I don't know what they are.

There seems to be a consensus that soaking in oil or water will do the job, so they will be headed for a bath. Thanks for the suggestions.

OR ? when next door have a mid day bonfire on the best day of the year deposit some over the fence into it !!!!!

They will make perfect 250m zeroing targets for a .17HMR

They will make perfect 250m zeroing targets for a .17HMR

I had not thought of that. I don't have a .17 but I do have a very accurate Tikka .223 .......hmm.........I also have a load of party poppers left over from a party .........could this be Scotland's answer to a strategic nuclear deterrent?

Go along to your nearest railway track. Place them on the tracks spaced apart so that when the next train passes it plays "Boom Bang A Bang". Run away shrieking like a 12 year old.

I've soaked them in water and also in oil. They are tenacious little buggers, and you would be surprised how many will go bang in a fire after being soaked for a couple of weeks.

Now I just sprinkle them into an outdoor fire, stand back and keep my face turned away until the popping stops - and then for a bit longer.

I definitely WOULD NOT throw them out, no matter how they have been soaked. Way too much risk of them going off, particularly if they end up drying out.

Spray them with WD-40 or similar pentrating oil and chuck them in the bin. Or put on goggles and ear plugs, and hit them with a large hammer.

-JMS

Back