Thread: Vortex optics

Vortex optics

Can anyone on here shed any light on the various models of Vortex scopes and their relevant pricing?

The reason I ask is that I am after a nes scope for my .243 for foxing and need it to have paralax so I can use it with NV. Also I would like it to have turrets for dialling in longer shots and for some practice. I have been mainly looking at the Viper HS 4-16x50 LR BDC Reticle (Long Range MOA) and Viper 6.5-20x50 PA** with Dead-Hold BDC Reticle (MOA).

Both have what I am after but obviously the 6.5-20 has more mag. What I can't seem to work out from looking on the Riflecraft website is the differences between the scopes in terms of quality or lens coatings etc. Even the Viper HS 4-16x50 has a price difference of £100 between the different reticles with no other apparant differences. Is a different reticle really that expensive?

The scope will be for day use and night time with NV so super coatings for low light transmission aren't so important as twightlight shooting isn't a priority and will probably affect the transmission or ir anyway.

Any help in uderstanding will be greatly appreciated.

Try asking Brock & Norris who also retail Vortex optics.

Quote Originally Posted by dvbookshop View Post
    Try asking Brock & Norris who also retail Vortex optics.
    I will ring them too as the last few times I have spoken to Riflecraft they haven't inspired me with confidence.

There's a difference between FFP and SFP pricing too. First Focal Plane and Second Focal Plane. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    There's a difference between FFP and SFP pricing too. First Focal Plane and Second Focal Plane. Regards JCS
    Beat me to it!

There also seems to be something of a supply shortage at present. A friend of mine wants to buy a particular model -he has one already and wants another the same for his other rifle- but has been told by Riflecraft that none will be available until August. Phoning round retailers hasn't turned up anything either. So before you agonise too much about pricing, I'd find out if anyone has the models you're interested in, in.

I have the first-focal-plane Viper HS 4-16x50 LR BDC Reticle (Long Range MOA) model myself. I think it makes a great "long-range" rimfire and FAC airgun scope, but that 16x isn't enough magnification for small (rabbit/crow-sized) targets at the kind of ranges where centrefire trajectories show serious drop - and serious drop is what the reticle is made for. [Unfortunately, in the rimfire/airgun role the 50m minimum focussing distance can be troublesome. Re-parallaxed for 15m, however, it would be a superb airgun scope.]
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

The viper 6.5-20 is the old version and when they launched the HS and PST the glass clarity was massively improved. The viper HS and PST are the same apart from illumination and turrets. FFP or SFP is down to personal preference.

Dont bother with a 1st focal plane. FFP works well in Tactical situations because the range estimation scale in the reticle (often based on a man's shoulder width or average man's height) will be the same at all magnifications, as are the mil dot graduations that allow range estimation using objects with known measurements (ie, Besser blocks , bricks, wheel heights, vehicle lengths or tank lengths). You don't need 1st focal, unless you intend to do ranging estimation with a milrad/dot system anyway. The crosshairs are too fine at low magnification to see clearly or make a quick snap shot and too big at 20x, this is the exact opposite of what you need when hunting.
    The Vortex Viper scopes I've looked through (friends and associates not mine) had really good optics but were very heavy. The only reservation I had was the fact they had chosen 'first focal plane scopes' mistakenly thinking that a Tactical feature translates well to hunting and in my experience it doesn't.

either moa or mil will work fine for you as long as the reticule and turrets are the same (moa scope with mil-dot ret , argh !)

FFP allows you to range , correct or measure your miss at any magnification , as long as you see your fall of shot you can either correct your aim using the reticule or directly apply the correction to the turrets without too much thinking.

personally I like mil and the metric system , if you can't decide ask yourself how many inches there is in a mile and then how many cm's in a kilometre and see which is easier to work out under pressure.

obviously the imperial system is ok if you have 12 fingers.............
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

The optics are very good, son has one and I know several others have them. I think the illumination ( whole reticule is OTT) and looking through my sons on Sunday night I thought too bright for me. He said it was on lowest setting which to me was far to bright but it was the first tome he used it a night so adjustment could have been wrong.

They are very good for dialing in my son took 2 shots to hit a lemon size water ballon at 137 yds with his .22lr and I was pretty impressed. On Sunday eve he head shot a rabbit on the lamp at 97 yds dialed in (helped to have the thermal to locate it first) so nothing wrong with the scope. Suggest you talk /PM AH BRIS for more details on Vortex.

D

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    either moa or mil will work fine for you as long as the reticule and turrets are the same (moa scope with mil-dot ret , argh !)

FFP allows you to range , correct or measure your miss at any magnification , as long as you see your fall of shot you can either correct your aim using the reticule or directly apply the correction to the turrets without too much thinking.

personally I like mil and the metric system , if you can't decide ask yourself how many inches there is in a mile and then how many cm's in a kilometre and see which is easier to work out under pressure.

obviously the imperial system is ok if you have 12 fingers.............
    +1, and I really love long-range varminting (the actual range being dependent on rifle-type/calibre) with this sort of optic, but for foxing and stalking I prefer a scope you simply screw the covers on after zeroing, with a simple reticle that makes it easy to work out how far below the centre the 300m drop is from a 200m zero (for when you really can't get closer and have to aim off), and that has a dim red dot in the middle (for when you're shooting into deep shadow).
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay