Thread: Keeping a carcass cool when away from home

Account Suspended

Keeping a carcass cool when away from home

If you have your own shoot invariaby somewhere on you shoot you will have a culvert or narrow running stream that takes surface water into the river ,either of heath or the side of a hillside.
    Obtain a large plastic 50 gall water supply header tank used in domestic plumbing
    Dig a trench at the side of the stream and bury the container so its approx 4" higher than the surface height of the water ,weight with a dense concrete block to stop flotation cover the top and insides with kingspan polysterene and the top it will keep your beasts cool constantly at temp around 5 degrees for at least 4-5 days a 50 gal container will hold at least 4 roe deer.

I like the sound of that! Do you just let the water flow around the outside of the tank and the Kingspan keeps the cold in(or heat out)?

Mick

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by mickthebrick View Post
    I like the sound of that! Do you just let the water flow around the outside of the tank and the Kingspan keeps the cold in(or heat out)?

Mick
    I try to set my tanks in about 3 ft away from the stream as even with a dense concrete block in the bottom if you cant bottom anchor it it tends to float up the running water keeps temps down in the immediate areas constantly and it never heats up even on a hot day the ground temp is always around 5-6 deg.
    The kingspan does both keeps the cold in and air temp out . obviously best sited in the shade.
    Costs nothing to run either