Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: time of day to stalk roe?

time of day to stalk roe?

hi all,
    sorry if this has been covered before. iv had a look though and cant seem to find an answer.

what time do you guys seem to see your roe deer. iv seen them at 9am but never before and only ever at 6 but neevr later. seem to be spending alot of time early mornings and evenings not seeing much but will drive past randomly in the day , and loe and behold there they are.

any advise would be greatly appreciated

cheers

luke

Theres a lot of factors.. I find on different bits i have that they act in completely different ways. Factors that affect this.. I think pressure from shooting, disturbance, cover, feed and quality of feed.

Im not sure if i've ever seen any marked effect from the moon cycle and i do buy into the feeding cycle, peaking at dawn and dusk. rumination has a lot to do with it too.

On one bit of ground ive got, the deer will be out all day, either couched up in long grass or feeding. I also buy into the idea that deer are like humans in the respect that you get clever ones, stupid ones, greedy ones etc, theyre all different so 'rules' about deer behaviour normally set you up for a fall..

Quote Originally Posted by luke_manic View Post
    hi all,
    sorry if this has been covered before. iv had a look though and cant seem to find an answer.

what time do you guys seem to see your roe deer. iv seen them at 9am but never before and only ever at 6 but neevr later. seem to be spending alot of time early mornings and evenings not seeing much but will drive past randomly in the day , and loe and behold there they are.

cheers

luke
    If you have seen them on you ground then I would suggest you spend some more time watching for when they come out...

A slice out of the BDS site.....

Activity. Roe deer are active throughout the 24-hour period but
    make more use of open spaces during the hours of darkness in populations
    experiencing frequent disturbance. Peak times of activity are at dawn and dusk.
    Long periods are spent "lying up", which is where the deer lies down to ruminate
    between feeding bouts.

Economic factors. Browsing of tree shoots and agricultural
    crops puts roe deer in conflict with farmers and foresters due to economic
    damage. Conversely, many country and forest estates can gain substantial revenue
    from recreational stalking and/or venison production. Whether in conflict or
    used as a resource, roe deer populations require careful management to maintain
    health and quality and to ensure a sustainable balance with their environment.

A quick drive by as you seem to have done will not answer your question.

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

hi all,

cheers

luke
    Much depends on the time of year.

The classic times are from first light for a few hours and then again from about 2 hours before dusk until you can't see any more. The rest of the time they couch up and are very difficult to spot. It is said that they need to feed at least once during the day and early afternoon is another good time, but i have not had much luck with that theory.

The exception seems to be from about February through to late April when they tend to come together in larger groups (I have seen up to 12 together) and sit out in the open. Not quite sure why, but it seems to happen every year before they then become territorial again and go back into hiding.

Perhaps mine have just read the book and abide by it, yours appear to be dyslexic.
    So much to learn and so little time left

hi all,

cheers

luke
    Well , if your correct in your observation times my advice would be, go out just before 9 and pack in at 6 ..

Bob

They're also creatures of habit and you can set your watch by them on my ground. They may be passing through at the times you've mentioned so you need to get out and see what they're up to as they're either coming or going by the sounds of it.

DG in his book says something about this and often morning stalkers quite too early, sometimes post 9am is good especially if the sun is up. I think the last hour before sunset is the time to be out .A lot depends on your roe and the type of disturbance they get, would seem to be huge differences.

D

have one bit that stalks well in the morning and one that only stalks well in the evening

definitely agree with the habit part
    you will see the same animal in the same place at similar times if left undisturbed

My experience is that it's very dependent on the patterns of human activity, with deer dissappearing during times of peak human acitivity. Since people aren't generally very affected by time of year, but day length changes hugely, then the window of deer activity in relation to dawn and dusk will depend on time of year.

Take dog walkers as an example: if you have dog walkers coming through, there's often a peak in dog walkers around 6:30-8:30am and again 4:30-6:30 pm. The deer vanish during that period. That means for the times of year when dawn and dusk fall within those windows, you won't see many deer if you stalk the classic two hours of dawn and two hours of dusk. But come back in mid summer, and suddenly you see masses of deer from dawn until about 6. Another interesting example is golf courses: the time that people start playing doesn't really change through the year: 6:30am at the earliest, but usually no one out til well after 9am. But the time that people stop playing changes with day length, with most courses having somebody out til it's too dark to see the ball all through the year. During the part of the year when it's light before 6:30, you will see plenty of deer out on the course, but as soon as day length shortens enough that people are playing from dawn, the deer vanish. At the other end of the day, you don't see deer until all the golfers are gone - which can be at 3:30 in December, but 11:30 in June.

Similarly, there will be parts of your ground where people never go very often at all, and you may find deer active there at almost any time. And there may be parts of ground that are very disturbed, so you'll only see deer at absolute first and last light, when there are fewest people around.

The broadest rule of thumb, I'd say, is that if you're seeing deer out in the open often during the middle of the day, they feel comfortable: they're not being disturbed much, and probably haven't been shot at much. Start shooting and you'll see that change.