Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me lead free bullets.....

Recommend me lead free bullets.....

I'm used to 150gr soft nose sierra prohunter in my .308 which does just about everything I need although a couple of big stags have questioned them before now....

looking for for a lead free alternative BUT....... I don't want runners ideally (unless they are trained to run towards my truck.. )
    Serious point though, I have a lot of boundaries due to the layout of my land and try wherever possible to get animals dead on the floor pretty swiftly.

ive been advised to go lower on bullet weight (130gr) with Barnes TTSX, which I'm struggling to get my head round (this could just be a psychological issue I need to overcome...) as I was thinking of heavier bullets to better handle the red stags.

im looking for other folks experience, preferably in a fairly similar calibre/weight scenario.

also interested to hear views on Nosler E-tips? Anyone tried them?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

ttsx are a good bullet and yes going lower on size and keeping speeds up helps expansion otherwise you run the risk of not getting enough expansion causing you runners, keep well away from lands around 50 thou is recommended, I am not running a 308 but just starting out with them on 270, hope this helps a little, wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I used the 100g ttsx in my 6.5x47 they were pushing 3049fps average over a five shot group on a chronograph but swapped off them as everything I shot ran further than I'd experienced with conventional bullets.
    Fantastic weight retention though as recovered one and it was still weighing 96g, it had opened up like a propeller as it should according the Barnes
    As Wayne says they need a hefty jump compared to conventional types mine were 47tho back.
    Hope I've helped
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

I've used about six or seven brands all in the 270 they range from Norma 110 which are very accurate but crap at putting reds stags down most of the rest were 130 and no problems with them but my favourite would be the Norma 120 kalahari for putting them down. I shoot a few hundred every year and I only use copper being doing this for the last eight years they only thing which is wrong with them is the cost

I haven't tried them myself, but have heard good things about the Hornady GMX, I don't think they do a 130gr though.

I use and like 130g TTSX in the 308. Drops roe fast !!

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    I use and like 130g TTSX in the 308. Drops roe fast !!
    Thanks, and I really appreciated your Pm's on the subject, just wanted to see if there was anyone out there on larger deer for comparison.....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Used 130 TTSX in 308, shot plenty of Red and roe deer, as has been said Roe will drop to shot but you will get that with pretty much any 308 bullet in the right place. On Reds with chest shots there hasn't been any to my recollection that have been flat packed and just folded up, a few have stumbled and fallen over, the majority have gone 30-100 yards with top of heart taken out.

Only thing I would say is you don't have much room for error with copper, if you just hit lung due to not as much expansion as lead deer can go a bit further than they would if using conventional bullets.

I know couple people who have tried Hornady GMX, not been impressed with them.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Thanks, and I really appreciated your Pm's on the subject, just wanted to see if there was anyone out there on larger deer for comparison.....
    lowland reds no problem , 130gn ttsx in 270, no meat damage , i drive mine at about 2900fps nice and steady

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I've used Federal Copper 165gr in my .308 since November on reds locally. One ran about 40 yards (entry between ribs) the rest all good.