Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! My motorbike is dead

Help! My motorbike is dead

Hi all,
    Riding back from work today, all.going lovely when suddenly the ignition cuts out, engine dies and I'm forced to pull the clutch in and coast down the dual carriageway until I find a lifesaving side road in just the right place.
    The bike has power, lights come on, dials all work, etc. Fuses are all fine. But the bike will not start. There's not even a click from the solenoid. Can't be jump started and obviously won't bump start (or it wouldn't have stopped running in the first place). I've just had the bike recovered home, so does anybody have any ideas what the culprit might be?
    It's a 1998 GSX600-F, carbs, no immobiliser or fancy electronic stuff to blame. Bike has been fine until now, no difficulty starting, nothing unusual.
    Ironically I had just agreed to sell it! I don't think the buyer will want it now...
    Thanks in advance for any help!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Does it have an immobiliser fitted? Could be that if it has.
    No point thinking about coil packs and ignition if you haven't even got a starter motor to spin it over with...

Poor bike didn't want to be sold!!!

Could it be the sidestand cutout switch playing up?

And an obvious one, is the ignition switch on handlebar set to run position? Possibly bumped it? I know it's obvious but I have done some stupid stuff in my time that has made me kick myself!
    Last edited by takbok; 19-05-2015 at 18:02.

Electrical I would think if it just died, fuel problem you will usually either get a spluttering or it will gradually loose power.

Check if you have a spark first and take it from there,if it died suddenly like that it's most likely something simple.
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 19-05-2015 at 18:25.

A dead spark plug simples
    try a plug first
    norma

check for spark just stick another plug in one of the leads and turn it over, side stand cut out is a good one like Takbok said as is the kill switch on bars check the simple things first and work out atb wayne
    ps suzuki had a crash cut out in the wiring loom with a heavy knock it would cut the engine I spent ages trying to get a gsxr1100 running and found it by accident lol.
    Last edited by mereside; 19-05-2015 at 18:36.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    A dead spark plug simples
    try a plug first
    norma
    Very first place to start with a dead engine work back through electrics, then move on to fuel, then sensors.

Being a 600 hundred its going to be a 4 cylinder so highly unlikely that all four plugs are going to die at the exact same time. I would imagine that the problem is spark related though, just a little more to it than the plugs.
    Start with the easy obvious ones and work from there. ie, is it getting fuel, switches in the right position.....................

Well I don't know whether to be relieved or irritated. The bike has just started for me first try and I haven't changed a thing...
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    Could it be the sidestand cutout switch playing up?

And an obvious one, is the ignition switch on handlebar set to run position? Possibly bumped it? I know it's obvious but I have done some stupid stuff in my time that has made me kick myself!
    +1 Side stand switch, go for the obvious first.