Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zeroing a .243 in NW England/North Wales?

Zeroing a .243 in NW England/North Wales?

On the off-chance, does anyone know of anywhere I could zero my .243 near(ish) to Chester? My FAC states I can use it "for shooting deer and for zeroing on ranges, or land deemed suitable by the Chief of Police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot", but I only have permission on land cleared up to .223 (as per my previous thread).

Before anyone asks, the .243 is for deer stalking, and, yes, I could zero it when I get up to Scotland or down to Bedfordshire, but that's not really the ideal way to start a 4am stalk...

As always, any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan.

Hi Dan,

Far from ideal but I could get you on a 50 Yard range near Bolton if you don't get anything closer or more suitable.

Mick.

223, 243, 270,308 all the same result really, speak with your FEO get the perm cleared for the calibres you have or better still cleared for all, its only a simple call, I did this exact thing yesterday for a new perm over the phone.

he lives in cheshire! they dont do simple,like gmp ive sent three emails two letters and three phone calls to get some land cleared 7maybe8weeks ago i got an email back saying its not on their data base,,,,,im still waiting,,,,,!!ive give up with them,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by rick6point5 View Post
    223, 243, 270,308 all the same result really, speak with your FEO get the perm cleared for the calibres you have or better still cleared for all, its only a simple call, I did this exact thing yesterday for a new perm over the phone.
    That'd be great, but Merseyside said they'd need to send someone out to survey the land again, and it'd take 12 weeks since they're busy. I'd really rather avoid inconveniencing the land-owner too, so that's out in this case unfortunately...

check out the quarry at bolton like stuck said, i have land in cheshire but im in the same boat waiting for the land to be cleared higher than my 223,so i cant help you on that,its a pain in the arse what bloody difference is it from 223 or 243,
    DONT START

Not exactly on your doorstep, but you'll get sorted at Macclesfield pistol and rifle club. Pm me if you need more info. There's a few members on here.

novice

Never had any issues with cheshire firearms always found them to be really quick and accommodating.

You could always go to Carlton moor, about an hour away.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishermandan View Post
    On the off-chance, does anyone know of anywhere I could zero my .243 near(ish) to Chester? My FAC states I can use it "for shooting deer and for zeroing on ranges, or land deemed suitable by the Chief of Police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot", but I only have permission on land cleared up to .223 (as per my previous thread).

Before anyone asks, the .243 is for deer stalking, and, yes, I could zero it when I get up to Scotland or down to Bedfordshire, but that's not really the ideal way to start a 4am stalk...

As always, any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan.
    if you are going on paid stalks, any ghillie or guide worth his salt will have somewhere you can zero you rifle before you go out, in fact, some will insist you check zero before you go out!

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    if you are going on paid stalks, any ghillie or guide worth his salt will have somewhere you can zero you rifle before you go out, in fact, some will insist you check zero before you go out!
    Of course, but if I'm driving 3 hours up to Scotland after work on a Friday and then out stalking at 4am on the Saturday then it'd be nice to know the zero is OK beforehand!