Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A very odd conscious crisis

A very odd conscious crisis

I think I'm getting old and soft.

I run a little semi wild bird shoot on the farm at home. Buy in a few cock pheasants each year to shoot but more than half the stock is wild and it's cocks only. My vermin control has always been pretty hot.

A few days ago I found signs of a fox about so set up a bait point with a train cam as usual. Sure enough, along came Charlie. Got some great pics and over the past few days she has been getting earlier and earlier. Tonight should be just after dark.

Now here'e the dilemma. The pictures show that she is definitely lactating. Cubs at home. I seem to have got all soft about them starving to death.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all up for shooting foxes and have a full understanding of the damage they do to game birds, especially if they get into a pen, I have suffered it first hand in the past. But I like to kill them swiftly. I've shot plenty of vixens at this time of year before, but this year I'm just not sure I want to do it.

Am I mad or just getting old?
    So much to learn and so little time left

If you didn't feel something you wouldn't be human. I wouldn't do it & I certainly wouldn't do it without knowing for sure that I could take care of the cubs too.

It's almost a tie in to the thread on Joanna Lumley, there's something about the foxes, we feel we have to control them but we sometimes don't like doing it cos they're actually a very likeable animal in some ways.
    If you're unsure, follow your conscience, don't kill her unless you have to - but, that might mean you have half a dozen or more foxes to deal with come later in the year........
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Regular Poster
    Frankly if you weren't feeling anything I'd worry. Tough call, not sure what I'd do. Do you know where the holt is?

I would be concerned too, and as had been said, unless the problem is able to be solved in it's entirety now I would wait till it could.

Thanks for your help guys.

Decision made, she lives tonight. Have set the camera to video - see what I get. Tomorrow I will find the earth. Shouldn't be hard to find, she's had 23 rabbits over the past week, must be a big pile of bones somewhere. Set the trail camera up at the earth, see what I'm dealing with and plan from there.

I am very happy that I can deal with them later if I have to.

So the conclusion is I'm getting old, not going mad.....
    So much to learn and so little time left

If she is coming to bait she won't be killing as much you could try feeding her more as a distraction from your birds till the cubs are weaned then sort out the lot.
    Might not be a very popular idea, but letting cubs starve is a nasty thought, not sure I could be that nice guess its a balance you have to work out

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    I think I'm getting old and soft.

I run a little semi wild bird shoot on the farm at home. Buy in a few cock pheasants each year to shoot but more than half the stock is wild and it's cocks only. My vermin control has always been pretty hot.

A few days ago I found signs of a fox about so set up a bait point with a train cam as usual. Sure enough, along came Charlie. Got some great pics and over the past few days she has been getting earlier and earlier. Tonight should be just after dark.

Now here'e the dilemma. The pictures show that she is definitely lactating. Cubs at home. I seem to have got all soft about them starving to death.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all up for shooting foxes and have a full understanding of the damage they do to game birds, especially if they get into a pen, I have suffered it first hand in the past. But I like to kill them swiftly. I've shot plenty of vixens at this time of year before, but this year I'm just not sure I want to do it.

Am I mad or just getting old?
    I've slipped the safety back on for a great deal less.

I'm sure there are many that will say the only good fox is a dead one but each to his own. Ironically if you're on top of you fox control it can provide the 'room' to make such calls, whereas if you're struggling to put in the time on your ground the pressure will always be on to make fur fly whatever the circumstance.

K

dare i say it, in some ways best to leave the resident vixen and dog as they will keep all others away.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    dare i say it, in some ways best to leave the resident vixen and dog as they will keep all others away.
    Shoot a fox and seven will come to his funeral, we used to false feed with squirrels and rabbits, same went for the buzzards.