Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thames Valley Police - HMR for fox?

SD Regular

Question Thames Valley Police - HMR for fox?

Can anyone tell me whether TVP will condition HMR for fox please? Looking to help a new starter get up and running, and this may answer a question on rimfire calibre for him.

Cheers.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Eric, the bulk of opinion is .17 HMR is marginal for humane fox control, Try & start him on something a bit more suitable. Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I have Vermin and AOLQ listed for my .17HMR, and when I specifically asked my FEO the fox vs .17HMR question, I was told that was what AOLQ was for...... Ultimately, it is down to the user to ensure a clean kill, and at ranges that are not going to frag the animal and leave it suffering.... otherwise no point in using it for foxes - get something bigger...

Also you have the current long standing issues with ammunition quality, or the lack of, why not set him going with a .22WMR, at least another 60 foot pounds muzzle energy over the 17 HMR ?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I was told by Essex FEO a couple of years ago that rimfire was not suitable for fox

SD Regular
    All - many thanks for the comments. As someone who previously held a license managed by Essex, I am aware of their position - to some degree it was that which prompted the Q about TVP, knowing that here in West Mercia it is acceptable. The question was to inform the discussion about what calibres have what capability in both the legal and lbft areas as opposed to 'you should have an HMR for foxing because it's legally OK'. I appreciate the information to allow me to do that.

I share the concerns over the calibres overall suitability as a foxing round - but as said, the decision to shoot what with what is the responsibility of the licence holder. I can explain the legal position and give my guidance - I shall be counselling for a dedicated fox type calibre, never fear - but one needs to be a little careful around proposing multiple calibres to someone just starting out. He's asking the question and that can only be a good thing.

Once again - appreciate the knowledge given.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I hate to say it, but
    It doesn't matter what the particular police fet team thinks...
    It is in the Home Office a Guidelines as a suitable calibre & therefore as long as you have good reason, they can't argue ..
    i always read the relevant part of the latest version before applying for any variation or renewal.
    and to make sure you are within the law in relation to all hunting.

as to how I feel about hmr for fox, is my opinion.. I have successfully put down fox, by head shot at under 100m, but I certainly wouldn't use it at 150m ... It is a calibre that has its place , like all of them.. If your looking for a fox / rabbit rnd then my advice is to look at both the Hornet calibre's, but if you don't reload, then stick to something that's cheap and available of the shelf
    Last edited by treetop; 20-05-2015 at 10:58.

as above yes they have to Follow HO guidance now or explain in writing why not

which says 17HMR is fine for fox

and even if granted for Vermin should get AOLQ also making it Fine on fox

Firearms licensing

Forces that choose not to align their activities with the Home Office Guide are required to notify the national policing lead of the Firearms and Explosives Licensing Working Group (FELWG) and provide a rationale for their decision.

Expect a long wait too. TVP are very busy, understaffed and contending with an office relocation thanks to a water leak at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    as above yes they have to Follow HO guidance now or explain in writing why not

which says 17HMR is fine for fox

and even if granted for Vermin should get AOLQ also making it Fine on fox

Firearms licensing
    It was a couple of years ago when they said that they wouldn't allow for fox, they may well of changed that view now.