Thread: Rackenford Reds

Rackenford Reds

Not stalking, just seeing the herd at Rackenford on the A361.
    I always have a look in these 2 fields whilst driving the North Devon Link Rd, as they used to be there, haven't seen them for maybe nigh on a year.
    While driving to work on Sunday, there was 6 Hinds, (presuming here, no sign of Antlers, was driving, so a good look was out of the question) less than 50 yds from the road in the first field, and in the second field, a long way back was the rest of the herd, maybe 30 or 40 Deer, fantastic sight .

And driving home this evening, on the opposite side of the road, (same place) on the moorland area I caught sight of a white rump end of a Deer bounding through the whins and brush, again less than 50 yds from the road, always gives me a lift to see them, and glad to see them back again, (if they ever went)

They were there again this morning a good 40 of them

Brian

Brain,

You are not the only one to note the lack of deer seen in the area you are talking about, i asked some questions feb 2009
    and got a reply that two persons had gained permission near to the fields you are talking about and had been hitting them hard.
    Not from the horses mouth you understand but close by

Our driver from work was the first to let me know about it some time ago i will now tell him to keep an eye out. Glad they are coming back for all to enjoy, hope you keeping well mate.

Yeh not doing bad Mark, flat out as usual, you?

It looks like these people didn't do too much harm to the herd.

Brian

That's why the N.Devon link road is so dangerous Its all us deer guys driving along looking at everything but the road! I too had wondered where that group had gone.
    Good to know they haven't all gone.

Mark

They never disapeared about the time I came down did they?????

Probably hiding in terror knowing `I was hunting the area

Hi Wayne,

Which time would that be !!

Me and Giles spent days herding them miles to my place was glad you got some
    my legs were knackered after trying to round them up for you

But Andy , well we ought to rename him THE SLAYER especially as he brought his 6.5

There are still just as many as before and the boar have been seen again

Brian,

Work is busy! which is good for those who love/need the overtime but bad for me as i can manage without and it interferes with my stalking but needs must.
    Time to start getting the boat ready for the bass that according to my records i started cathing well at the beggining of May last season

How did it go at the game fair?

The guys who had that permission did well to get their foot in the door they are in deepest hunt territory, but my mate down the road has permission right next to the hunt master

Quote Originally Posted by cervushunter View Post
    Hi Wayne,

Which time would that be !!

Me and Giles spent days herding them miles to my place was glad you got some
    my legs were knackered after trying to round them up for you

But Andy , well we ought to rename him THE SLAYER especially as he brought his 6.5

There are still just as many as before and the boar have been seen again

Brian,

Work is busy! which is good for those who love/need the overtime but bad for me as i can manage without and it interferes with my stalking but needs must.
    Time to start getting the boat ready for the bass that according to my records i started cathing well at the beggining of May last season

How did it go at the game fair?

The guys who had that permission did well to get their foot in the door they are in deepest hunt territory, but my mate down the road has permission right next to the hunt master

Nice one mate, as I said when Andy gets to old to chase 'em to me you can have the job if you want

Did you call him "slayer" or "slower"????

Up until last year I was travelling to Barnstaple most weeks and really looked forward to seeing those deer at Rackenford.

I had a closer call a bit further up at Brayford when I saw a big stag cross the road 100 metres ahead in the fading light, I slowed up, for some reason the stag stayed on the verge, I started to go round him and he then panicked and decided to go back the way he had come and jumped right across my bonnet. Fortunately for both of us he got a good take off and sailed over. The moment when we looked each other in the eye as he passed a few feet in front of me will live with me for a long time.

Paul the Brayford road has nearly been/has been the undoing of many Deer.
    But it's still great being that close to them, I had a Hind and calf in the road up there, again couldn't decide which way to go.
    I stopped until they made up their mind, just enjoyed watching them.