Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Posting a Firearm.

  1. #1

    Posting a Firearm.

    Hi all.

    Might have to send a Rifle I have sold to a RFD for my buyer. But I have had to lots of information (both from RFD's) but not sure which is correct or both might be.

    1st RFD

    I take my rifle to him, he charges me a fee to do the transfer / paperwork + postage costs. Sends the rifle to the buyers RFD and jobs done.

    2nd RFD

    I obtain the buyers RFD certificate (copy) and a copy of my buyers FAC and then I send my rifle to the RFD with a copy of my FAC. Once he receives it the buyer pays his fee etc and the transfer is done.

    So which is correct. Can I send my rifle straight to a RFD and not via my own RFD.

    Also does anyone know a company that will ship firearms?

    Many thanks
    Michael

  2. #2
    Hi Michaeli RFD TO RFD only. Company that ship firearms TNT or Parcel Force I Have Used both of these. Good Luck .

  3. #3
    Hi Michaeli,

    sorry but NOT correct

    1) you can legally send any firearm YOU own to an RFD direct, BUT you must use an authorised carrier (TNT and ParcelFarce are the two main ones, there may be others)
    You may however find the costs to do this privately can be higher than doing it through a sending RFD as they often get a discounted rate through membership of the Gun Trade Association (but the fees they charge on top of this may make it a marginal issue!)

    2) The process of transferring the rifle onto the buyer's FAC is a matter for conjecture

    a) they send you the FAC, you fill in the transfer as you would face to face, you return the FAC, THEN you send the firearm to the RFD for collection, Receiving RFD checks details on buyers FAC and hands over
    or
    b) you send your firearm, either direct or through a sending RFD, the buyer brings FAC with authority to acquire and the RFD completes the transfer on the FAC and hands over the firearm

    payment as always should be between you and the buyer unless you are actually selling the firearm to one of the RFD's

  4. #4
    Thank you very much.

    My work has an account with parcel force so should be able to sent it though them.

    Thanks
    Michael

    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Hi Michaeli,

    sorry but NOT correct

    1) you can legally send any firearm YOU own to an RFD direct, BUT you must use an authorised carrier (TNT and ParcelFarce are the two main ones, there may be others)
    You may however find the costs to do this privately can be higher than doing it through a sending RFD as they often get a discounted rate through membership of the Gun Trade Association (but the fees they charge on top of this may make it a marginal issue!)

    2) The process of transferring the rifle onto the buyer's FAC is a matter for conjecture

    a) they send you the FAC, you fill in the transfer as you would face to face, you return the FAC, THEN you send the firearm to the RFD for collection, Receiving RFD checks details on buyers FAC and hands over
    or
    b) you send your firearm, either direct or through a sending RFD, the buyer brings FAC with authority to acquire and the RFD completes the transfer on the FAC and hands over the firearm

    payment as always should be between you and the buyer unless you are actually selling the firearm to one of the RFD's

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeli View Post
    Thank you very much.

    My work has an account with parcel force so should be able to sent it though them.

    Thanks
    Michael
    Not that simple. Parcelforce will ship Sect 1 & Sect 2 guns (from RFD's who have an account with them) but they impose 'special' conditions. On my shipping screen, I have to declare that I am shipping a gun, and I have to use their 'Parcelforce AM' service. Doing it any other way (eg through your company's account) would breach their T&C's and you could find that PF may seize your package.
    Historic Guns & Militaria - based in South Bedfordshire - Historic Guns Militaria

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Webley Boy View Post
    Not that simple. Parcelforce will ship Sect 1 & Sect 2 guns (from RFD's who have an account with them) but they impose 'special' conditions. On my shipping screen, I have to declare that I am shipping a gun, and I have to use their 'Parcelforce AM' service. Doing it any other way (eg through your company's account) would breach their T&C's and you could find that PF may seize your package.

    is that not also a pricing issue?
    cost wise or insurance wise sending a 4ft parcel is not the same price as sending a 4ft parcel with a rifle in it

    no account restrictions that I am aware of as I have a TNT account and am not an RFD...(yet)

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeli View Post
    My work has an account with parcel force so should be able to sent it though them.
    Some employers take a dim view of bringing firearms to work. Best check if unsure........
    I never make the same mistake twice.

    I make it five or six times.

    Just to be sure.


  8. #8
    All the guns and rifles I have sent in the last few years have been paid for, taken to my RFD who enters it onto his log so its no longer on my FC then he sends it to the buyers RFD so it is not on his log and then that RFD transfers it to the Buyer.
    Job done
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    All the guns and rifles I have sent in the last few years have been paid for, taken to my RFD who enters it onto his log so its no longer on my FC then he sends it to the buyers RFD so it is not on his log and then that RFD transfers it to the Buyer.
    Job done
    +1 That's my method.

Similar Threads

  1. Purchasing a firearm
    By devin9989 in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15-01-2013, 15:29
  2. posting firearm
    By tolley in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-07-2012, 20:53
  3. firearm cabinet
    By Auld Blair in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 13-01-2012, 16:03
  4. Firearm shipping
    By monynut in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 19:29
  5. firearm renewal
    By mickjgardner in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 19:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •