Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Essex constabulary

Essex constabulary

My friend at work has received a letter this morning informing him that due to a large influx of applications and renewals he will have to wait 28 weeks for the grant of his shotgun certificate. Is this normal or is this excessively long for Essex?

Any info would be appreciated.

Dom
    "Eagles may soar, but, Weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines" Anon

SD Regular
    Excessive in the extreme - but perhaps not surprising.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

My mate has been told exactly the same from them. I don't think there is a influx in applications I just think they are well under staffed and well behind. Not good as we are paying for this service and prices have just gone up.

Essex Police are stating a minimum of 38 weeks on their website for a shotgun application, I believe in reality it can be longer and I have heard of stories of getting on for a year

Got my variation back a few weeks ago. Took them about 12 weeks to put it through the system. That was 5 weeks before they sent it to the FAO, 2 weeks for him to visit on receiving it and a further 5 weeks for me to get the licence back.

The problem is in the office, not with the FAO's. I know two people locally who have had to give their guns to local RFD to look after because their licences expired despite putting the application for renewal in 3 months before the expiry date.

They are in a mess at the moment.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Got my variation back a few weeks ago. Took them about 12 weeks to put it through the system. That was 5 weeks before they sent it to the FAO, 2 weeks for him to visit on receiving it and a further 5 weeks for me to get the licence back.

The problem is in the office, not with the FAO's. I know two people locally who have had to give their guns to local RFD to look after because their licences expired despite putting the application for renewal in 3 months before the expiry date.

They are in a mess at the moment.

Why? You should be issued a temporary permit if your ticket runs out. Don't send the ticket of just the application.

A friend waited 30+ weeks for a first grant of a SGC. He's based in Southend. He was warned when he submitted his application that he'd have to wait that long.

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Why? You should be issued a temporary permit if your ticket runs out. Don't send the ticket of just the application.
    No idea, but that's what they had to do. John Whittingdale got both barrels over it at the NFU "meet the MP" breakfast a few weeks ago.
    So much to learn and so little time left

my SGC was up for renewal in April, paperwork sent in with plenty of time to spare. I was informed it would not be completed in time so they sent me a temp one. So I am at least covered at the moment

Why are the shooting organisations not getting involved in this?
    They appear to be a lot of duffers just sitting back in their arm chairs, eating crust-less sandwiches with tea and discussing the 'lead shot issue'.
    Why do we pay our fees to them if its not to pressure government to get the police working more efficiently. After all they have just had a massive fees increase.
    How's your end of the gene pool today?