Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Trip

New Zealand Trip

I was wondering if anyone may be able to offer any advice

Me an two mates are going out to New Zealand next year on a hunting/fishing trip. We are planning end of April beginning of May for three weeks. I have a mate who lives out there who has a boat and truck etc, so he is helping us with the fishing part. I was wondering if anyone had any advise on the hunting side. we are planning 1 week fishing on the coromandel, 1 week in the Taupo area for the Sika roar then a week in the mount cook/south westland area for Tahr.

I spent 3 weeks flying fishing around the south island about 4 years ago so roughly know my way about. Managed a bit of hunting too for goat and reds in the Kiakoura area.

Do you know how easy it is to bring over rifles and what the procedure is with the airlines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jonsie

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesie View Post
    I was wondering if anyone may be able to offer any advice

Me an two mates are going out to New Zealand next year on a hunting/fishing trip. We are planning end of April beginning of May for three weeks. I have a mate who lives out there who has a boat and truck etc, so he is helping us with the fishing part. I was wondering if anyone had any advise on the hunting side. we are planning 1 week fishing on the coromandel, 1 week in the Taupo area for the Sika roar then a week in the mount cook/south westland area for Tahr.

I spent 3 weeks flying fishing around the south island about 4 years ago so roughly know my way about. Managed a bit of hunting too for goat and reds in the Kiakoura area.

Do you know how easy it is to bring over rifles and what the procedure is with the airlines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jonsie
    Hi Jonsie,

me and a friend did a similar thing a few years back now. We both flew with our .308s and it was quite straightforward on the way out (flew air New Zealand). You get a firearm visitor pass on arrival which lasts a year, so very tempting to just stay! We hired a camper for our time there, just over a month, and was ideal as both transport and accomodation and the country's well set up for campers.

we hunted mainly DOC land to start with, both north and south, around the kaimanawas near taupo which is good for sika, down the godley in the south and all over really. To be honest we weren't very successful on doc land! Although the cabins set up for hunters and fisherman are a great experience. As we found out the areas we went to had been heavily shot out and poisoned with 1080. It wasn't until we hooked up with a guide that we got into some beasts! And still on Doc land. I'd recommending finding someone who's in the know and can take you to the right places. The terrain and bush is vast and challenging. Find a good guide at a reasonable day rate and they can make life easier for you. Thar hunting is fantastic, a real physical challenge, but again I'd get someone to go with who's in the know, and ideally a chopper in and walk down option!

the only problem we had was flying back out via Hong Kong. We were taken off the plane and taken to a kind of interrogation room with armed police, they broke into our rifle cases and the whole thing was a bit scary. Despite all our relevant paperwork it was like we were terrorists! I'd never go via Hong Kong again.

anyway, if you want more info or photos mail me, As you can see i could waffle on about it for ages.! I love the country.

Thanks Boarboy,

I will send you a PM

Jonesie

Boar boy,

Can you tell me a bit more about the visitor firearm permit?

I get a fair amount of time off in June and July and have been starting to plan a 30 day trip, archery and/or rifle. I have a few contacts there but not as many as I need to make it a go, yet.

www.police.govt.nz/advice/firearms-prohibited-offensive-weapons
    Go here there is all the
    information you need on firearms in NZ it's quite straight forward, ammo is not a problem most calibre's are available, I can help out with ammo if you need,
    I am 45 minutes north of Taupo, 2 and a half hours from Auckland,
    Robert.

Thanks Robert kind offer,

I might take you up on it.

I spent a bit of time in that area before, near matamata, didn't manage any hunting did some fishing.

Jonesie

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    www.police.govt.nz/advice/firearms-prohibited-offensive-weapons
    Go here there is all the
    information you need on firearms in NZ it's quite straight forward, ammo is not a problem most calibre's are available, I can help out with ammo if you need,
    I am 45 minutes north of Taupo, 2 and a half hours from Auckland,
    Robert.
    That site needs to be removed immediately. A government built and hosted site that is straight forward and logical - what are they thinking? I actually got on, and figured out what was what in 5 minutes. That can't stand. They need to hire an American or Brit Bureaucrat to muck up the site with legalese and pointless links that cause more questions than they answer.

seriously though, thank you. What a great and helpful link.

Yeah we tend to be straight forward and helpful, if you come down here bring a nice rig and sell it to defray some of the cost it will probably be easier than returning to the States with it,
    Robert.

Jonesie i am happy to take you out stalking when you are in New Zealand. For Sika i would flight by helicopter here is one company http://www.helisika.co.nz/hunting-blocks/
    In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
    Mark Twain

If u have a search on here will be similar threads to this. I'm hoping to get out in next ew years for a 'proper' hunting trip. Last time i was out it was the wrong time of year (wedding) and still too much snow on the hills (Nov) to go after Thar

I'd advise have a look on the DoC website quite good and shows all the DoC (free hunting) land and where huts are
    Also the Spot X book is quite good, basically a book with a list of 'X's where some of the good hunting areas are and wot species are there, think other books for fishing too