Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teach yourself!

Teach yourself!

Here's a 'top tip' for you. Teach yourself to shoot left-handed! (or right handed if you are 'witch' handed already!)
    I know of a few people recently that have had to switch sides for medical reasons. Apart from that, you will be a more proficient shooter if you can switch sides, especially in a high seat where movement should be kept to a minimum. Try it! You may even shoot better as you will concentrate more.
    MS

And your friends will thoroughly enjoy the succession of very fine scope kisses you collect over the first few attempts...

Had to change sides after dislocating my right shoulder, found it awkward cycling the bolt but that was it. Was as accurate off the left if not more so, probably due to concentrating more. Could do it with the shotgun too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    And your friends will thoroughly enjoy the succession of very fine scope kisses you collect over the first few attempts...
    Clearly it would be sensible to 'Dry-Fire' for your first few attempts until such time you are comfortable and the position and hold are firm enough to support the rifle.
    It's also beneficial to be able to shoot around obstacles (trees!) without having to expose your whole body to get the shot off!
    I'm sure there are also many (such as me!) that shoot right-handed but are left eye dominant! I learnt to shoot left handed as well 40+ years ago now with an air rifle and probably should have stuck to it, but I still prefer right given the choice. It's good to still have the choice though!
    MS

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    I've got to try this. I'm right eyed, right handed, right foot forward, right wing, and a right pain (she said). Never occurred to me to shoot left handed ; seems to be very popular with magazine photos of shooters though. Good practical application from the high seat. Thanks for posting.

I've always practiced weak shoulder , it's just part of being a competent rifleman?

I can shoot weak shoulder with a shotgun as well but my sporting scores drop out of the 80/90 region pretty rapidly!
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Clearly it would be sensible to 'Dry-Fire' for your first few attempts until such time you are comfortable and the position and hold are firm enough to support the rifle.
    Not being critical at all - was more revealing my own incompetence!

cant do it on all rifles
    My Tikka (and my PCP come to think of it) has a roll over comb which would act like a cleaver to any lefties
    one of the reasons I have been looking to replace it

quite handy being able to do it comfortably especially if your cover or rest is on the right hand side

Here's a 'top tip' for you. Teach yourself to shoot left-handed! (or right handed if you are 'witch' handed already!)
    I know of a few people recently that have had to switch sides for medical reasons. Apart from that, you will be a more proficient shooter if you can switch sides, especially in a high seat where movement should be kept to a minimum. Try it! You may even shoot better as you will concentrate more.
    MS
    Good tip. As you can see in the photograph I've attached below. I modified my favourite 'deer' rifle to make it ambidextrous. It's amazing how often I find myself coming around the 'wrong' side of a rock or tree and being grateful for the capability of taking the shot off my left shoulder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ambi and non-ambi stocks.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	432.2 KB 
ID:	56961

Here's a 'top tip' for you. Teach yourself to shoot left-handed! (or right handed if you are 'witch' handed already!)MS
    Iím certain this comprises standard FCS training for Rangers issued with a vehicle.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.