Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: oil or water?

oil or water?

Following on from another post about how to get rid of unwanted primers, I decided to do a wee experiment. I put 5 primers in tap water and 5 in AC 90 oil. Only for 24 hours. The water killed them, all of them. The oil affected them but they still went phut. So water does kill them, maybe oil would if I left them soaking for longer or a different oil

Now leave the ones in water to dry out fully and try again, I suspect they may go bang where as the oil will hang around longer.

Yep, will try that and see

Quote Originally Posted by tomblincoe View Post
    Now leave the ones in water to dry out fully and try again, I suspect they may go bang where as the oil will hang around longer.
    A few years ago, the sons of several pioneer bow hunters went to the cabin in Alaska built by their fathers ( Fred Bear, Earl Hoyt, etc ). One of them found a box of primers which had been set on the porch roof and forgotten. After years of snow, rain, and sun, they still would set off a cartridge.

What were bow hunters doing with primers

That cabin in Alaska, like a lot of such cabins, was built by hunters and used by many other hunters. You might go to one, use it, and leave some canned food or blankets, shotgun shells, or something for the next hunters who might come there, looking for shelter.

And a lot of bow hunters hunt with firearms, too. When Fred Bear killed his Kodiak bear, he carried a .44 Magnum revolver on his hip for backup.

Been and tried again, soaked in oil and water for 30 hours. Put on a shelf to dry, half right way up half upside down. Left for a couple of hours and every primer fired. So water doesn't kill them after all and either does oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    Been and tried again, soaked in oil and water for 30 hours. Put on a shelf to dry, half right way up half upside down. Left for a couple of hours and every primer fired. So water doesn't kill them after all and either does oil.
    Bonfire ???

OK, I'll shut up.

Slip them into the BBQ, liven up the evening!!!

David.