Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lee quick trim or cutter and lock stud?

lee quick trim or cutter and lock stud?

Hi all,

Got the lee breach lock kit the other day, it came with a duluxe quick trim and also a cutter a lock stud. Which one do people reccomend using and why?

Thanks
    Stealthy, like a giraffe on roller-skates....

Hi

i personally use the cutter and lock stud, feels like i am in control more and closer to the cutting action. Purely emotional not results based.

me too
    but I use the lock stud in a drill
    linear pressure and idiot proof once measurements have been confirmed

less lateral stress with the original (i.e. the big long handle on the deluxe creates a lever for a lateral action inside the neck

Idiot proof, looks like I've found the one I need
    Stealthy, like a giraffe on roller-skates....

Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    me too
    but I use the lock stud in a drill
    linear pressure and idiot proof once measurements have been confirmed

less lateral stress with the original (i.e. the big long handle on the deluxe creates a lever for a lateral action inside the neck

Just measure as you go and double check though. I wish I did before blazing through all my new Lapua cases using Lee cutter and drill, only to find it had trimmed them all shorter than Saami trim length. Not a big deal as it was only by a couple of thou, but I am a bit ocd with these things and it annoyed me. Should have checked! Will be buying a more accurate trimmer in the near future.

... So not exactly idiot proof
    Last edited by otisthedog; 22-05-2015 at 17:51.

I use the cutter and lock stud in a pillar drill and it works well! You can get the length pretty spot on you just need to finger tighten, trim a case and tighten a little more in a vice if needs be to get it bang on then all cases ar consistent
    Last edited by Boydy47; 22-05-2015 at 21:46.

I do and use as some others, I have a two battery nut driver's with the adapter fitted so I can just swap them around as needed that way I can cut ,vld and polish all in one step the other driver has the pocket cleaner fitted . I did have a prep station but found it slow and not as good for polishing the case after vld cutting etc.

The Quick Trim works well but for me, it over chamfers the inside of the case. I flare the case mouths of my brass before seating so this is especially bothersome -and unnecessary. The advantage of the Quick Trim is that there is some adjustment available. I crimp so i trim all brass to the same length at every reloading -not just what hits the cutter, ala fixed cutter.

My favorite set up with the cutter and lick stud was to use a Zip Trim with the 3-jaw chuck, and the optional cutter mounted in a wooden ball handle. Cases in, a quick tug to trim, a light chamfer, and another tug while holding #0000 steel wool over the case. Done. When my Zip Trim got mangled I just switched to my Forster for about all my trim ops.~Muir

The Quick Trim Basic doesn't chamfer the cases and only costs a tenner.