Thread: Perceptions of the shooting orgs.

Perceptions of the shooting orgs.

Just got in & found a new S.A.C.S. mag on the doormat, Although now no longer a member, as I am required to be a B.A.S.C. member for insurance on a deer management scheme, I leafed through it & was aware of a lot of case studies on legal defence of sporting members re firearms / dog attack events & such, why no mentions in the B.A.S.C. mags?......... are there no successful cases with B.A.S.C.?, if there are, why no basic details? if these were to be made a bit more public then maybe the rep would get better?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Just got in & found a new S.A.C.S. mag on the doormat, Although now no longer a member, as I am required to be a B.A.S.C. member for insurance on a deer management scheme
    Why?
    Is the BASC insurance better than SACS for your activities?
    And you ask an interesting question, why don't BASC publish the results of court actions, it could get them more members, or not.

Cheers

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Why?
    Is the BASC insurance better than SACS for your activities?
    And you ask an interesting question, why don't BASC publish the results of court actions, it could get them more members, or not.

Cheers

Richard
    The decision to go B.A.S.C. was made by the regulating body of the DMG, & as such we needed to comply to remain members. As to the B.A.S.C. issue of legal challenges / completed court actions I don't know.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Has anybody or does anybody know of any payouts on BASC insurance,just interested.Wf1

I understood that the BASC cover is more comprehensive than any other provider

Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler1 View Post
    Has anybody or does anybody know of any payouts on BASC insurance,just interested.Wf1
    One of our wildfowling members tripped and shot his foot off. BASC paid out £1,000.

The scuba diving and sky diving associations I used to belong to published regular digests of accident reports. This made salutary reading, though in the nature of things -both kinds of divers typically having a certain inclination towards humour of the black persuasion- the most egregious examples were usually feted as candidates for Darwin Awards rather than treated as matter for sober reflection. Regardless, the practice seemed to me an important one in sports that, if undertaken recklessly, carelessly, with faulty equipment, or with inadequate training, could quite easily get you, or your fellow participants, killed.

Now I believe things can be both risky and safe.

I also believe that reporting accidents and their causes openly helps keep things safe.

So I find it less than satisfactory that reports of shooting accidents reaches one either mangled by the rumour mill or via the generally ill-informed news media. Instead I'd like the shooting organisations to report not just those accidents that result in an insurance claim, but also to provide the means, and the encouragement, for members to notify them in confidence regarding other accidents, so that they can compile and report on such mistakes for the benefit of all. No names, no pack drill, just properly verified facts.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay