Thread: Legal black rhino hunt - Namibia

Legal black rhino hunt - Namibia

Some of you may remember that it was reported by the national news that the Namibian government auctioned a tag to legally hunt a black rhino last year. The winning bidder paying $350,000 for the tag.

That hunt happened recently and was covered by CNN. You can watch the fairly unbiased video here :-

Texas hunter bags rhino on controversial Namibia hunt - CNN.com

Follow up article here :-

Conservation hunting: Beneficial or unjustified - CNN.com
    Last edited by MJ75; 23-05-2015 at 15:59.

Thanks for that, a very interesting read.

don't have a problem with it really, the only thing is the cost of it...perhaps everyone and especially the greenies making a big fuss / mockery out of it...it was a old bull and would have died in the near future...they used the money for conservation...done deal!
    Patrick Reynecke (Bushwack Safaris)
    Web: http://www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
    Mobile:+27 82 773 4099
    Mail: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

I liked his comment in the tv interview where he said that the anti hunting groups could have bid in the auction instead of intimidating bidders. Put their money where their mouth is, so to speak.

Not wanting to stir the pot or be cynical but the money being paid going into 'conservation' is great, it would however be quite interesting to see just how that process works as historically it has not been quite as black and white.

Namibia has proven to be pretty good with it. It's Zimbabwe and Botswana which can have issues with money being redirected to other beneficiaries.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

The ethics behind it, if followed properly works for me, though I haven't seen the vid, & I particularly liked the comment that the anti's should bid too!.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Couldn't agree more. Done properly, you are removing what would be a cull animal if it were deer. That money going back in to protecting the rest of the herd works for me.
    I would personally rather that money be given straight to the land owner since he is the one most likely to profit from the herds prosperity
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Here's Corey on the Joe Rogan podcast (great podcast), you can also find the series "UNCHARTED" online with Corey and Jim Shockey which is the one of the best hunting shows out there