Venison shanks - the best cut?

JockStalk

Had four shanks off a yearling red calf in the freezer that I'd been umming and aahing about what to do with. Would they not be tough?

So, large soup pot, browned off the shanks (after trimming a couple of bones that were a bit long with my 5" rib saw!). Left for a bit after browning as I got on with the next stages.

Softened an onion in the same pan with a bit of oil. Then 1/3 of a bottle of red wine (thats all that was in the bottle at that point). Boiled off the alcohol. Added a tablespoon of cranberry sauce, two sprigs of rosemary and a litre of good stock (I use half and half veg stock and beef).

Back in with the shanks, up to the boil then simmered for two hours. Parnips and carrots in for the last hour and at the last a tablespoon of water and cornflour to thicken.

The meat was falling off the bone. As tender as a tender thing, with all the unctuous soft bits that were once tough old sinews.

Each shank is a hearty portion. With some boiled Jerseys it got the thumbs up at the table. Nummm, nummm, nummm. Real gravy-down-the-chin loveliness.

However you like to prepare it, could shanks be the best cut of the lot?

JS

Yes quite good for all the years I was I on Reds I never tried them like bambislayer says they went to the dogs, then my grandson persuaded me to,try Sika shanks when he was keepering up by
Fort Augustus , probably not the best cut but it's all he would give me.:rofl:

Last edited:
I had my first sika shank last night. Eight hours in a slow cooker on low......excellent. Will definitely have them again.

Mulac

Same here. I've got a thermal cooker so just brown them off and cook as a stew. With the thermal you just bring to a simmer for 15 mins then leave in the thermal for 4-5 hours, no heat or anything required and then it's ready.
You guys must have too much venison if you feed this to the dogs. Only thing my dos get is the ribs and back bone.

Well known as one of the best, if not the best, cuts for slow cooking, casseroles, stews etc.,although I have been guilty of giving some to the dog many years ago.

If looking for something not mentioned in this thread, try sawing them into sections and cooking them osso bucco style. The contents of the bones really add something to the flavour.

Have to try this ,
Even shin o beef hardly have & can get cheap , when I do have it keep saying should be more often ... Slow cooker an ace invention

Paul

I only bother with the shin off the bottom of the haunch (bottom of the shoulder just gets burgerised). On the haunch, cut through the stifle joint (as here - http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/uploads/guides/156.pdf ) and you'll have a mini shin of beef. I tend to save them up in the freezer, then do a multi species cook up, browned off and into a big stock pot with wine, onions and seasonings for 2-3 hours. Brilliant casserole / pie filling!!! With some mash, a meal fit for a king (and easy to get out of the freezer on a cold winters night).

Made this again at the weekend, only in a slow oven. Two carrots roughly chopped, three whole shallots, glass of dry red wine, half pint of stock (I used chicken). Two shanks and two wee foreleg ‘shanks?’.
All into an ovenproof dish, well sealed in foil. 4 hours at 130C.
When done, drained off the juices snd left meat to rest while I got the veg and spuds done. Drained juices reduced, bit of salt and cornflour to thicken up.
Meat flaked off bones using two spoons.
Gravy added to flaked meat, and the roasted carrots/ shallots. Quick stir and plated up.
Reminded me just how awesome a thing slow cooked roe shanks are!!!
Clean plates all round.

Back