Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: long bolt action wanted, for 9.3x74.. project.

long bolt action wanted, for 9.3x74.. project.

Hello all.

I am looking for a really nice action to make a 9.3x74 bolt action rifle... if any one has anything suitable and in good condition please let me know.

Kind Regards.

9.3x74 or 9.3x64?
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Interesting choice of cartridge for a bolt action! I have only ever seen one, built on a magnum length Mauser action. Will be in interested to see what you choose and how the project progresses.

Never seen one in the flesh. Heard of one spoken in hushed tones.

Definitely interesting project, I'd suggest a the usual suspects of P14, CZ 550 or Parker Hale magnum.
    Bolt face would be too big on them mind but there is ways around it.
    Such a small rim on the 74R that you are going to struggle but it'll be unique when done.

Quote Originally Posted by JabaliHunter View Post
    Interesting choice of cartridge for a bolt action! I have only ever seen one, built on a magnum length Mauser action. Will be in interested to see what you choose and how the project progresses.
    It will, I just need to do some gathering of parts... and yes looking forward to the project. I have already emailed mauser for a price on a new action. Hope to get this built this year..

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    It will, I just need to do some gathering of parts... and yes looking forward to the project. I have already emailed mauser for a price on a new action. Hope to get this built this year..
    IF they will sell you one it will be pretty expensive considering that the full magnum rifle is a little north of 8000 last I checked.

May i suggest Mayfair Engineering if you have the money. Stunning actions but at 3400 (trade price) for the magnum you kind of expect it!

Speak to PKL on here. He is the Mauser man.

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    IF they will sell you one it will be pretty expensive considering that the full magnum rifle is a little north of 8000 last I checked.

May i suggest Mayfair Engineering if you have the money. Stunning actions but at 3400 (trade price) for the magnum you kind of expect it!

Speak to PKL on here. He is the Mauser man.
    Thanks Greener...

I will take a look Jim. But I dont have 3400 to spend on a action. its not going to be done on the cheap... but I can not just that price on a action. And 8k I could buy a nice used Mercedes. So I may be looking for a alternative.

I don't think the action will be that much from Mauser but it will be dear. If not let me know and I'll buy 10!

Your best option in my mind would be a CZ550 or Brno 602. Get your local RFD to remove the barrel and just enter the action on to your FAC in your 9.3x74r slot.

They need a little refining but you'll be reworking a fair chunk anyway
    As mentioned, the magnum Mauser's will have too large a bolt face for the 74r so that'll need sorting.
    Then you have getting it to feed from the mag which will be fun.

Calvin can I just ask one question - WHY?

It's probably not totally impossible but it seems that you would be going to a tremendous amount of trouble and expense just to achieve the same ballistics as a 9.3x62.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Calvin can I just ask one question - WHY?

It's probably not totally impossible but it seems that you would be going to a tremendous amount of trouble and expense just to achieve the same ballistics as a 9.3x62.
    Its not a tremendous amount of trouble if the right action is found. Why!!!! Just for a bit of fun, And that trip to alaska for a bear. I was going to get a 375 H&H. But then thought that this would be a exciting project.