Bucks fighting

willie_gunn

A gloomy old morning for taking photos, but these two decided it was still good enough to have a fight.

Bucks_zpsxat8bofq.jpg

As well as these two the big buck was out this morning, but only visible in the distance.

The humid weather seems to bring them out.

Gloomy or not that's a lovely pic... my money's on the younger dude at the back with his impressive summer coat coming through.
The old Boy in front, flecked with grey/winter, has a touch of the " not again, I'm getting tired for this malarkey" about him. He has the head for it but seems to have lost his mojo. You can almost see it in his eyes...
Have a Rut weekend coming up late July and this has whet my appetite big time, with thanks.

Gloomy or not that's a lovely pic... my money's on the younger dude at the back with his impressive summer coat coming through.
The old Boy in front, flecked with grey/winter, has a touch of the " not again, I'm getting tired for this malarkey" about him. He has the head for it but seems to have lost his mojo. You can almost see it in his eyes...
Have a Rut weekend coming up late July and this has whet my appetite big time, with thanks.

Interestingly I would have reversed the two.

The one at the back looks older to me (already in summer coat, slightly fuller neck), whereas the chap at the front looks like the young pretender being given his come-uppance!

It's all guesswork, though, so who's to say who's right.

To be fair, I had seen both bucks separately earlier in the morning. The one at the back was browsing his way along a hedgerow, marking along the way. Whilst watching him the other buck had stepped out onto a path through a field of rape behind me, spotted me with the four dogs and then beaten a hasty retreat. I watched the older buck and his body language changed markedly when the youngster appeared at the field edge, having circled around behind me. If the dogs had kept still (and I hadn't had to growl at them to convince them to do so) then both bucks would probably have made straight for the exit where I was standing, as they use this as the main link between these two fields.

I'd bet good money that the buck at the back is the same one I took photos of last week and that this is his home turf:

Buck4_zpspgdcvku5.jpg

The more time I spend watching deer the more fascinating I find them :D

Last edited:
am sure you are right, WG, and you were there and will have a much better idea... I noted the thinner neck but think I was fooled by the antlers but, to be honest, I thing I am incorporating too much ear into the front chap and had thought his head looked bigger/fatter.
Just thought he might be an old chap going back and a little skinnier than he used to be.

Either way I am sure they will be shoving each other around a bit in the next few weeks and months so please keep us abreast...

Back