Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Import license from EU

Import license from EU

I know there's another thread running on a similar subject, but my question is this.

i am in discussion with a courier company who ship firearms from Germany within Europe. The price is reasonable and still makes plenty of sense buying a rifle abroad and shipping it over.

i have hit a brick wall however, when they keep insisting that I must have an import license (and not just my firearm license) before they can process my request.

Does anyone know what document they mean? As my repeated requests for them to identify said form keep falling on deaf ears ( they claim they regularly ship to the UK and that they always get an import certificate from the buyer.....) HMRC say there is no such thing as an import license, and I'm inclined to agree with them, but I'm happy to humour these people if there's a form out there which keeps them happy!!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

check the top post bottom left this page,look at meresides answer that might cover it for you if it helps ,regards doug,
    DONT START

Wayne aka mereside has done it with a pistol flip him a pm as I'm sure he'll have whatever info your in need of ''may even of used the courier! !''
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Can you not go over and buy it, fly back with it and then register it at customs

Quote Originally Posted by nwalker View Post
    Can you not go over and buy it, fly back with it and then register it at customs
    Don't be daft !!! Far too sensible to be allowed under British law
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

I had exactly this problem with my drilling, and in the end, I forwarded the email from the DTI or whatever it's now called with a short German translation. That ticked the box. A week later I had the gun. I can dig the email up for you if you like.
    "Wishy washy hand-wringing diversified all encompassing liberal"

And the answer along with references and contacts is on the other threads.

To paraphrase: if you have an FAC with a vacant slot on it, then it is your 'Authority to Possess' and no further documentation a.k.a 'import licence' is required or available from the UK end of things. Your seller within the EU will require a 'Transfer Licence' issued by his own authorities/police, which will accompany the consignment.

Use the documents from the other threads and if need be an email or letter stating the above from our Import Licencing Branch of the Dept BIS to convince the carrier that you are complying with the UK requirement and the EU Weapons Directive.

Is the seller a retailer or private and are they doing their bit?

I hope the below helps:

To apply for a licence that you don't need:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/firearms-specific-import-licence-how-to-apply

The Government then send you an email like this (underlying was my add), confirming that you don't need it and that should suffice for the EU exporter:

Dear [Mr XYZ]

I can confirm that unchambered barrel blanks are not viewed as component parts and not subject to our import licensing controls.

If they have been chambered and are viewed as component parts then I can confirm that you do not require the prior consent of the UK, an import licence issued by this branch, for the transfer of non-prohibited component parts from another EU Member State to the UK. You can import using your Firearm Certificate provided that it allows you to acquire and possess the barrels in question. You will also need a transfer licence issued by the Member State from where the items are being sent.

Firearms, component parts and ammunition that do not fall within Section 5 of the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended) do not require the prior consent of the UK (Article 11, Paragraph 4 of the EC Directive on control of the acquisition and possession of weapons). An import licence will not be issued for import into the UK.

Authorisation by the transferring member state for the transfer of the weapon to the UK is required (Article 11 Paragraph 2 of the EC Directive). This transfer licence must accompany the firearms to their final destination. You must contact this branch prior to attempting to transfer if a transfer licence has not been issued.

Yours sincerely

[name] | Import Licensing Branch| Department for Business, Innovation and Skills |enquiries.ilb@bis.gsi.gov.uk | www.gov.uk
    The Department for Business, Innovation & Skills (BIS) is making a difference by supporting sustained growth and higher skills across the economy.
    You may be able to short-cut this process by addressing an email to: enquiries.ilb@bis.gsi.gov.uk I have not tried that but having been round the houses it might work.

Good luck,

Boomerang

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    And the answer along with references and contacts is on the other threads.

To paraphrase: if you have an FAC with a vacant slot on it, then it is your 'Authority to Possess' and no further documentation a.k.a 'import licence' is required or available from the UK end of things. Your seller within the EU will require a 'Transfer Licence' issued by his own authorities/police, which will accompany the consignment.

Use the documents from the other threads and if need be an email or letter stating the above from our Import Licencing Branch of the Dept BIS to convince the carrier that you are complying with the UK requirement and the EU Weapons Directive.

Is the seller a retailer or private and are they doing their bit?

All this is is all well and good, and (I now know to be gospel) however, it doesn't help when said importer is insistent that there is another form or certificate they keep on insisting on....
    so, as it stands now, having sought advice, the deal is this, said company will not be shipping for me, because they can't comprehend the law. I investigated the options of importers in the UK getting it for me, but the prices were up into the multiple hundreds so that's not happening.
    Having now clarified the situation, it would appear that a dealer in Germany needs to see my FAC and EFP and they need to draw up the export papers themselves, they can then sell me the gu directly face to face and I'll bring it back myself. The only thing I need to do is pay for and have a serial number in advance that I can give to the police in this country to say I have purchased the gun so that they can enter it on my EFP before I travel to collect it, otherwise I would be travelling back with a firearm that wasn't listed on my EFP which has the potential to get sticky..... The police said this shouldn't be a problem, just declare it at customs, but I think I'll get it sorted before travelling..... Don't want to leave this to chance.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Okay, so if you've supplied them, (the carriers), with all the information and 'negative' responses from our own Import Licensing Branch of the Dept BIS , then the only other piece of paperwork they can want is the Transfer Licence from the seller. Have they got that?