Factory loads

243varmint

After a morning zeroing and testing some different types of factory ammo, just thought I would post a piccy of the results.

3 round groups

Ammo used:
Rem 95gr Accutip
Norma 100gr soft point
Winchester X 100gr soft point
Privvy 100gr soft point.

Jon124.jpg

Not bad grouping for 'factory rounds'

I did not alter the scope at all for the test, it was just a case of testing some ammo.

Jonathon

Looks like the rifle like the Winchester best?:thumb: But the Privvy looks as good and a good bit cheaper no dought?:D
You coul go stalking with any of the 2.:confused:
Atb,
Moe..

Your T3 certainly likes those Winchesters Jonathon but those Privvys look pretty good too & as bobt & Moe say, cheap as chips. :D

ATB

Chris

Hmmmm three of the four tested are certainly usable. I see that you rifle didn't like the Remington at all. Yet in another rifle they could shoot well I tried some Remington Express in my BSA .243 and it hated them yet a year or so later tried the remaining rounds through a P-H Model 1000 and theyr grouped well.

May I suggest you buy a quantity of the Winchester or Privi which ever is easiest to get a reliable supply of as I doubt the Deer of Foxes will complain about either of them.

Hmmmm three of the four tested are certainly usable. I see that you rifle didn't like the Remington at all. Yet in another rifle they could shoot well I tried some Remington Express in my BSA .243 and it hated them yet a year or so later tried the remaining rounds through a P-H Model 1000 and theyr grouped well.

May I suggest you buy a quantity of the Winchester or Privi which ever is easiest to get a reliable supply of as I doubt the Deer of Foxes will complain about either of them.

To be fair the Remington where out of a clean barrell, I use 95gr accutips on foxes and 100gr core loc ultra bonded for deer. they both tend to sub 1/2 inch group normally. core locs are like rocking horse s**t at the moment ( been on back order since last August from Remington ). It was just a case of trying some different rounds.

Can get the privvy for £9.50 for 20 locally.

Jonathon

Actually I was not knocking the Remington ammunition, just commenting that the particular rifle you shot it in didn't like it as well as the other types, barrels are funny things and can be very choosy about what they like. I was going to try soem Remington ammunition through a 6mm Remington rifle but then i got the quote for them and ten the news that as it's not a popular chambering it could be 6 months or more to get some :eek: :cry: . Luckily I found a couple of boxes on 100 grain Winchester and brought those somewhere else and they shoot fairly well.

That's a good comparison. I normally use federal 100grain and was advised to change to norma for greater accuracy. Having seen this I may try the privvy and winchester first.

That's a good comparison. I normally use federal 100grain and was advised to change to norma for greater accuracy. Having seen this I may try the privvy and winchester first.

what group are you getting from your 100grain federals and at what distance. wjats your rifle. mines a 243 weatherby.
i use the powershock 100 grain and at 100 meters they are superb... at 200 also brilliant dont go past that yet..

f.

what group are you getting from your 100grain federals and at what distance. wjats your rifle. mines a 243 weatherby.
i use the powershock 100 grain and at 100 meters they are superb... at 200 also brilliant dont go past that yet..

f.

The target is about 120 yards away and the group is just under 1 inch roughly from a steady gun rest on a flat surface. Probably a reasonable group however I would like to test other factory loads before I take the plunge into reloading my own.

Rifle is a tikka t3 stainless laminate

Jonathon,

If you come over to the dark side (or is it step into the light?), there'd only be one hole on that target and it wouldn't have cost you £30 in factory rounds ;):lol:. I've got a spare press, 11 types of powder and some shiny, under-used .243 dies here...plus you'll have to take a second mortgage to fire that many factory rounds through your new .30-06 :eek: unless you start reloading.

Adam.

Jonathon,

If you come over to the dark side (or is it step into the light?), there'd only be one hole on that target and it wouldn't have cost you £30 in factory rounds ;):lol:. I've got a spare press, 11 types of powder and some shiny, under-used .243 dies here...plus you'll have to take a second mortgage to fire that many factory rounds through your new .30-06 :eek: unless you start reloading.

Adam.

We will have to have a .30 loading session at some point and see how it is over on the 'dark side'.:cool:

Picking the new rifle up tomorrow with a bit of luck.

catch up soon

Jon

One of my Rifles a Ruger 77 MK11 wouldnt shoot worth a **** with Winchester, Federal or Remington(only 3 i tried) Handloads and the accuracy was superb.

Two different loads one 55gr Vmax and the other 55grn Gamekings

Not before i had spent money on a full bed hogue stock and tweaked the trigger which probably did not have that much influence. Should have tried the handloads first but was getting a bit frustrated.

As said before the groups you shot would have done the business no problem.

Back