Steyr Pro, markI and Steyr Mark II

acj375

Hi Has anyone had a Steyr Pro MI and MII And how do you tell them apart.Imfor on any cal will do. Is the fore end a real porblem out of the sun.

I have both, as well as earlier Steyr Model M in walnut, Professional in Cycolac, an SSG 69, and the earlier Mannlicher actions (1903 action ).

The early SBS had a grey plastic stock which had a bit of flex to it. The forend is long, and the barrel mostly floating. They shoot superbly from the hands or a bag up under the magazine, but a bipod way out front, with a little twist put on it, could touch the barrel and affect accuracy.

Steyr made the stock a bit stiffer, and changed the color to charcoal. ( also some camo stocks ). I don't use bipods, so no problem for me. My 7x64 and .308 Win will shoot sub MOA out of my hands - good enough for hunting ( and 1/2 MOA off a bag with top ammo). And they are not picky about ammunition. None of my Steyr Mannlichers ever have been. And they will shoot all weights to the same small groups in the same spot. The only difference is vertically, as the range extends or there is variation in velocity ( like a mild 165-gr at 2,700 fps vs a hot one at 2,900 fps from my .30-06).

They are not the lightest weight in full trim with a 24-inch barrel, because the action is so stout, and the stock is dense, not flimsy or hollow. They are very strong, proofed at 90,000 PSI. They come with very good iron sights. You can change the length of pull by removing / adding the spacers, and change the buttpad from hard to firm, to Limbsaver soft, in a minute, just prying them off ( no screws ).

You'll get a variety of answers about the stocks I've had 3 pro mountains all MK IIs in 243 6.5 x55 and 308 .i like the rifles but then I've never been one to go with trendy !! My 243 was picky with 100 gr ammo and we parted company the other two less picy and both like geco
i swapped the 308 stock for the same factory stock but a varmint channel it now shoots better than I can off a bipod and I'd do the same with the 6.5 if I could find the stock .in the mean time I've no plans to change them .
the geco ammo tends to be a bit heavier than I've shot through both before the 6.5 and the 308 156gr and 170 gr respectively slower but then speed never won the race .
i don't see a lot of difference in the pro hunter and the classic half stocks metal work mags fit same safety Ect my pal has one in 7x64 we may try my 6.5 in his stock one rainy afternoon .
norma

Southern thanks for the imfo ,thats a great help.You like your Steyr,s,Ive used a friends i think is 1903 action one of the best i,ve handled.

Many thanks

Hi I have a pro hunter 11 25-06. Stock is terrible it was that bad I have even been onto Steyr in Austria and Sportsman but that is for another thread. Great rifle apart from stock that is why I have ordered a Staffordshire Synthetic Stock for it. Put a bipod and moderator on it and it would be all over the place. Flexes all over.
Jim

Please could you update us when you get your SSS stock and some pics would be nice.
Hi I have a pro hunter 11 25-06. Stock is terrible it was that bad I have even been onto Steyr in Austria and Sportsman but that is for another thread. Great rifle apart from stock that is why I have ordered a Staffordshire Synthetic Stock for it. Put a bipod and moderator on it and it would be all over the place. Flexes all over.
Jim

I have a MK2 in .223 and love it, the stock was a worry with a T8 moderator up front but I can't say it's ever actually caused a flyer.
Out of worry I have stiffened the front end with resin and removed the rubber bit at the front of the stock which would touch the barrel 1st if flexed, I also use a much lighter mod now.
As others have found my Steyr also shoots nearly everything well under MOA and the trigger is cracking.

I have a pro varmint which is based on the same action. I've got it in a McMillan stock now which is fantastic but heavy if you chose to go that route.

4fa41695484afaecd21a1351a7868873_zps27c0115f.jpg

Or, if you want a spare stock to try all the resin tricks on then my spare is still for sale on here. It's channeled for a heavy barrel so would likely have more clearance anyway.

For Sale: Steyr synthetic stock

Hi i agree the triggers and rest of the set up make for a very good rifles .Can you tell the difference between MkIs and MIIs.Word has it MkII stocks are firmer.

Thanks Alan

Great set up, the weight must reduce recoil in larger cals .Can you recall the cost of the stock.

Last time I asked a McMillan was best part of £600 phewwwwwww

Yes at least, I think it was £730 or something like that. Brings a smile to my face every time I use it though and it's paid for itself in saved poults :D
Well, that's what I tell myself anyway ;)

I have a pro varmint which is based on the same action. I've got it in a McMillan stock now which is fantastic but heavy if you chose to go that route.

4fa41695484afaecd21a1351a7868873_zps27c0115f.jpg

Or, if you want a spare stock to try all the resin tricks on then my spare is still for sale on here. It's channeled for a heavy barrel so would likely have more clearance anyway.

For Sale: Steyr synthetic stock
Hi Crosshair 243 how long have you had your stock? Is it fully bedded? cant wait for mine to be done.
Jim

Hi Crosshair 243 how long have you had your stock? Is it fully bedded? cant wait for mine to be done.
Jim

Hi Jim,
About a year now. No, it's not bedded, I just widened the barrel channel and whacked it in. It's not so much that it's more accurate but that it's incredibly forgiving. I've shot foxes out to 190y with it resting on the wing mirror one handed whilst lamping with the other. Whereas the original stock would have needed a hand underneath to cushion things which is more hands than I've got :D
I've got my Pulsar n750 on it now, and from the bipod it's point and shoot with utter confidence.

Andrew

Back