Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BDS Deer Management Course

BDS Deer Management Course

Hi.

Would anyone know where I can purchase or download the BDS Deer Management Manual. Also recommend any other in relation to this course.

Thank you Brian

Hi Brian
    Do they not send anything out when you book on the course? Pierre and I did it last year and told dave goffin when he asked for feedback that the only complaint we had was that the course book should be given prior to arrival on the first day to enable candidates to see which areas they were weak on as there's a lot to take in in 3 days.
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    They typically give out the manual on the first day of the course. They should send you a list of recommended reading material beforehand, or you can find it linked to from within these previous threads:

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/12273-BDS-Deer-Management-Course

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...agement-Course

If you don't have it already, get hold of either of the Best Practice Guides and have a read of those beforehand.

Depending on where you'll be attending the course, and who will be teaching, you might also want to get a copy of Dominic Griffith's book on Deer Management in the UK.

Enjoy the course, and good luck!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thank you for your replies. They still don't send the training manual out. Can't really see why not. Doesn't make sense.
    Thanks Brian

Firstly, its massive! It would cost about 20 to post it but, more importantly, they want you to actually learn on the course. It is an Advanced course and is delivered in a classic style not the modern, read the manual, quick refresher then take the test style that has become popular today.

I haven't explained that very well but it is a great course (although it was five days when I did it) and you will learn a lot. You won't be disadvantaged in anyway by not having had the manual earlier.

Mine was included in the registration cost. Since I had ready purchased the manual some weeks prior to registering they (Dawn) kindly substituted the Deer Data CD (with cost adjustment).
    I suggest you give Dawn at Fordingbridge a ring, you won't find anyone more helpful.
    In their letter sent with the course materials they encourage participants to thoroughly read the material in preparation as the course is by nature very intensive.

There is a reading list but if you are at L2 standard and pay attention in the lessons you will have no problems

Dave

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Brian, if you want to revise for the Advanced course I would recommend going back through your DSC1 manual and English and Scottish best practice guides. Obviously it is basic stuff but a quick refresher will help you be ready to absorb the more advanced stuff.

The other thing I would say is be prepared for the long periods in the classroom, travel down the night before so you're fresh, have breakfast and probably don't go crazy in the bar in the evenings! Sit where you can see the screen and hear the speakers. Get fresh air whenever there is a smoko. All boring stuff I know but important if you've not been in a learning environment for a while.

Remember, if you don't understand something ask and, finally, remember the top exam tip ....RTFQ3 (Read the flipping question x3)!

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    Brian, if you want to revise for the Advanced course I would recommend going back through your DSC1 manual and English and Scottish best practice guides. Obviously it is basic stuff but a quick refresher will help you be ready to absorb the more advanced stuff.

The other thing I would say is be prepared for the long periods in the classroom, travel down the night before so you're fresh, have breakfast and probably don't go crazy in the bar in the evenings! Sit where you can see the screen and hear the speakers. Get fresh air whenever there is a smoko. All boring stuff I know but important if you've not been in a learning environment for a while.

Remember, if you don't understand something ask and, finally, remember the top exam tip ....RTFQ3 (Read the flipping question x3)!
    All good advice above but if I may ad ''as I wasn't expecting it'' swat up on commercial forestry a bit as well.
    Best of luck enjoy it and don't forget some pro plus tablets for the classroom sessions
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!