Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust Attack

Rust Attack

Got my brothers Ruger No1 458 out of the cabinet today to find the steel receiver has been attacked by the rust bug , does anyone know where i can have it repaired in Hampshire areas

Attachment 57137

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    hi fella

would bead blasting do it ?

if so mckillop rifles in balsingsmoke area.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Looks like the rifle is in need of a make over. Is that oil soaked into the woodwork also?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Time to give her a make over get the oil out of wood and a paint job by James aka Jagar on the sight or a re-blue ? or nice hard case colour if you don't like Cerakote .

Get it dismantled de-rusted, bead blasted and then electroless hard chrome plated.

Ian.

Thank you for your replies i may have found another Action , how do I go about swapping the actions over with what would be a new serial number ?

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by GOMX View Post
    Thank you for your replies i may have found another Action , how do I go about swapping the actions over with what would be a new serial number ?
    I think its a one for one variation as would be with a new rifle.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by GOMX View Post
    What are you trying to do GOMX? When you say action do you mean the block, lever and trigger or are you hoping to exchange the receiver which presumably is the numbered part?

I have been offered a totally mint block with no internals I was thinking just swapping anything over .

Is it worth the effort, surely just refinishing the existing rifle will be much less trouble?

If you did want to swap the receiver first you would have to ensure that the receiver you are buying is the same as the one you have already. Then you would need to obtain a variation for the additional receiver. Then get someone to unscrew the barrel for you if you can't do this yourself. Then there is headspacing of the barrel in the new action to consider. Finally if a gunsmith does the work for you or you wish to sell it at a later date you will need to send it for proof.

Hence my question wouldn't it be easier just to re-finish the rifle.