Thread: Sako A1 vs Sako A491 (.222)

Sako A1 vs Sako A491 (.222)

So out of the two I don't see any real difference between them except the length of the action

What am I missing and which one is best?

no-one have one of these?

just a guess but does one have two action lengths in its range and the other 3?

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    The A1 as far as I know was made in 2 action lengths,

The s/491 has the small action, I have one here that was built in 20 by Steve Kershaw very robust and typical sako old school,

I had an RFD look at this action with a view to opening out the bolt for a 20 br as the action is spot on size wise, sadly the Bol old no be used,

Thatas the best I ave Ed,

Bob
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I thought the A1 was the shorter one?

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Ed I am sorry,

I have it the wrong way around, I had a bad night last night and found myself in a bit of pain so went loading 20 tac ammo in the garage this morning at 0400

Sako's A1 action is actually a lot smaller than it's successor the S491, especially in diameter and even in length. All of the S series actions are the same diameter, just different lengths to accomadate the longer chamberings offered, ie S491, S591, and S691. The S491 also has a round removeable recoil lug among the other differences compared to a integral lug on the earlier L and A series actions. I don't feel one is more accurate than the other, some say the thicker S series is stronger. I own 3 S491's, 2 - 17Rems and a 223 and a A1 in 6PPC, serial number B86X. As for which is more desireable I like the smaller A1 series, you can't go worng with either and unless you paid full retail value you'll never lose any money on it.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube