Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting deer out of season!

Shooting deer out of season!

Recently acquired some fallow permission where the owner is complaining that the deer are doing crop damage.. I can get a written letter stating he gives me permission to shoot them due to the crop damage.. My concern is I'm hearing mix opinions on what's legal and what's not..

Im looking for some advice as I'm getting thrown around the housed from BASC ect! They seem to think that me getting a letter from my land owner stating that the deer are doing crop damage is all I need to control the deer while not in season..

Just to add I'm only interested in bucks and the females are heavily pregnant now..

advice please..

Cheers Aaron
    Last edited by Slickshot; 27-05-2015 at 16:47.

Section seven of the deer act contains the 'farmers defence'
    this would be your best bet.

Check with DEFRA first.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Ive also heard that the farmer has to do everything in his power first! For example put up high fences/ compressed bangers ect.. Just want a simple yes/no answer

Unfortunately slickshot when British law is concerned there is no such thing as a straight yes or no

Many solicitors and barristers have made a very good living out of arguing that yes actually means no, black is actually white and up is actually down.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Section seven of the deer act contains the 'farmers defence'
    this would be your best bet.
    That's how i understand it as well Mike.
    But it is just that, if you end up in court it will be you defending your actions, so make sure you can prove it's the actual deer causing the damage, if you have to carry this out i suggest filming/trail cam footage before you squeeze the trigger.
    Might even be the same farmer who asked me 2 weeks ago near Exeter, i refused by the way.
    You have everything to lose, the farmer doesn't if you get it wrong.
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    Unfortunately slickshot when British law is concerned there is no such thing as a straight yes or no

Many solicitors and barristers have made a very good living out of arguing that yes actually means no, black is actually white and up is actually down.
    tell me about it..

Surly if if basc states all I need is a letter then that will do wouldn't it? I had there main deer man for there organisation state this! Hard one

Surely as distasteful as you find it, it would be impossible to justify controlling just the bucks if you relied upon the fact that the deer are damaging crops.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Cheers Richard! No it's a different farmer! I've been shooting for him over 2 years now.. It's on the back of haldon near the teigh valley.. I think il just wait till 1st August as it's such a grey area.. Your right to much to loose

and I know I'm kinda contradicting the matter with only shooting bucks.. My main concern is not to wipe them all out but to shoot a few to keep my farmer happy..

I I thought shooting the buck would be a more professional out look on this matter!
    Last edited by Slickshot; 27-05-2015 at 17:10.

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    That's how i understand it as well Mike.
    But it is just that, if you end up in court it will be you defending your actions, so make sure you can prove it's the actual deer causing the damage

I agree, not something I'd be keen to risk myself......