Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which .243 100gr bullet/ ammo?

Which .243 100gr bullet/ ammo?

Putting this on for my father who's going to come out with me after some fallow later in the year, and some hill hinds. He shoots .243 and was just wondering what people recommend in the 100gr bracket? Ammo or heads. Thankyou.

Try the geco 105grn 22.00a box I always found them very accurate and pack a good punch with not to much meat damage ,that's what I was using before I started to load my own I now use the sierra 100grn pro hunters and I wouldn't change ,good luck
    Last edited by berg; 27-05-2015 at 18:59.

Obviously it depends on what shoots in your rifle; I find that it has to be the shortest flat-based bullet possible to stabilise in my Sako 75. I'm currently getting very good accuracy (sub moa) from the Sako 100g's but have also had perfectly useable results from Norma & RWS.

105g's from this rifle give a 12" pattern & hit the target sideways. This is not ideal.

I shot a red last year with 100 gr PPU soft point , heart shot and it dropped 20 yds from Impact. I don't reload and PPU is cheap, I've used it in the 243 on roe and CWD with the same results, the roe and CWD dropped on the spot. It does the job in my 308 also

12 a box

Atb

kjf

RWS or Norma 100 grain both work well but as said previously it depends on the rifle. My sauer doesn't like the Geco 105 grain but in a friends Musgrave they work a treat.

Thanks for the response so far. I've been on the federal website, and quite a choice on there for the .243. They have a sierra 100gr, norma partition 100, and the 95 gr ballistic tip. It's been a while since I shot .243 myself. How are the 95gr nosler ballistic tip? I guess they'd doube up as a good foxing round too??

Quote Originally Posted by Kjf View Post
    I shot a red last year with 100 gr PPU soft point , heart shot and it dropped 20 yds from Impact. I don't reload and PPU is cheap, I've used it in the 243 on roe and CWD with the same results, the roe and CWD dropped on the spot. It does the job in my 308 also

12 a box

Atb

kjf
    +1 for the ppu, I used this round before I started reloading, was a good accurate and cheap round, the Geco 105gr I tried, but my rifle didn't group better than a couple of inches and the bolt was so hard to close when loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    Thanks for the response so far. I've been on the federal website, and quite a choice on there for the .243. They have a sierra 100gr, norma partition 100, and the 95 gr ballistic tip. It's been a while since I shot .243 myself. How are the 95gr nosler ballistic tip? I guess they'd doube up as a good foxing round too??
    I now use the 95 silver ballistic tips and get on well with them for both Fox and deer, I don't get many runner when in the engine room and meat damage isn't no worse than my .270 140gr.

im a great fan of sako's 90 grain soft point, ive taken muntjac,roe and fallow with them no problems and they are a reasonably flat round when it comes to there trajectory so there easy enough to use on foxes aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    The Federal 80g soft point is a great roe round.