Barrel length question.

Boarboy

I've come across a .243 blaser barrel, which sounds quite tempting but the guy at the shop says it measures 20 inches/ 50 cm. My other barrels are both 57cm/ 22.5 inch factory standard. (And that's what's on their website too). I'm guessing this one may have been cut? And if so how much velocity would it loose for those couple of inches off? I was mainly going to set it up for foxing with a separate scope so velocity loss would be a concern. Thankyou.

I looked into getting my 243 cut, I was told/ found on the net that i would lose about 47ft/sec per inch cut off. Wether this is right or not I don't know, I never got the barrel cut.

I looked into getting my 243 cut, I was told/ found on the net that i would lose about 47ft/sec per inch cut off. Wether this is right or not I don't know, I never got the barrel cut.

Thanks. I've just been on the blaser site and they do do a shorter version at 52cm. So I'm guessing its this one as opposed to the 57cm standard.

I have a factory supplied 52cm long 243 R8 Barrel, and at 10 meters the chronograph gives 2893ft/sec or 882m/sec for 100g loaded with 44g N160. I don't find a problem with it.

I have a factory supplied 52cm long 243 R8 Barrel, and at 10 meters the chronograph gives 2893ft/sec or 882m/sec for 100g loaded with 44g N160. I don't find a problem with it.

Sounds great. What bullet heads are you using roe hunter?

I've come across a .243 blaser barrel, which sounds quite tempting but the guy at the shop says it measures 20 inches/ 50 cm. My other barrels are both 57cm/ 22.5 inch factory standard. (And that's what's on their website too). I'm guessing this one may have been cut? And if so how much velocity would it loose for those couple of inches off? I was mainly going to set it up for foxing with a separate scope so velocity loss would be a concern. Thankyou.

Bambi will never know the difference.

Sounds great. What bullet heads are you using roe hunter?

Speer 100gr SPBT 1220. I also used Sierra GameKing 100gr Spitzer Boat Tail 1560 but not checked with Chronograph but point of impact is the same as the Speer 100gr.

Sorry just remembered that the 882m/sec is through a ASE Utra SL5 Moderator on the 52cm barrel.

Last edited:
Just be up front and ask the shop is this the factory length? Is it threaded as the thread size will also give you a good ideal about its original length/ origin.
cheers

Just be up front and ask the shop is this the factory length? Is it threaded as the thread size will also give you a good ideal about its original length/ origin.
cheers

Hi dickie. Yes I spoke to the shop. I think it's all factory standard after looking at the blaser website and talking to the shop. It's just the shorter 52cm, and threaded 15 x 1 with spigot, which is same as my other barrels and handy as I can put an existing moderator on it.

Would the shorter barrel affect stabilising 100 gr bullets in any way??

I haven't found that to be the case, and I own three Blaser Factory 52cm Barrels in 243 3006 and now 7x64.

The attached PDF is of targets for each calibre showing three consecutive shots from each barrel. The 7x64 target was for the fourth fifth, and sixth round that I have ever placed through the barrel on Monday this week (using RWS purchased loaded rounds) before I zeroed the scope.

I hope that helps?

Attachments

• Zero Targets.pdf
    290.8 KB · Views: 33
Barrel length makes a big difference to noise and muzzle blast. I have a 24" 243 and shot this next one with 20" with the same ammo. The 20" is painful, whereas the 24" not at all, indeed for the odd shot even without ear protection it's not uncomfortable.

My 7x65 has a 26" barrel and that's even quieter than the 243. Just a boom and no louder than the shotgun barrel.

Back