Help with BSA identification?

icedog

I acquired a BSA Majestic Featherweight Deluxe in 30'06 a couple years ago. It turned out to be a bit of a project, but is now a really beautiful and accurate little rifle ... luv it.
So, I now find myself with a BSA Majestic Featherweight "itch", and have run across what may be one in .270W. The snag is, this one has a progressive folding rear sight (mine on the '06 is a single folder), and there is a "riser" on the .270 barrel where the rear sight is installed ( the '06 has no riser on the barrel).
Other than that, from the on line pics, the .270 looks very much like my '06 ... ported barrel, hooded front sight, same checkering pattern on the wood, hollowed knob on the bolt handle, schnabel fore end, similar overall stock shape.

Question is whether or not the different sight and the riser on the barrel make the .270 something other than a Majestic Featherweight ... any thoughts or advice appreciated ...

I acquired a BSA Majestic Featherweight Deluxe in 30'06 a couple years ago. It turned out to be a bit of a project, but is now a really beautiful and accurate little rifle ... luv it.
So, I now find myself with a BSA Majestic Featherweight "itch", and have run across what may be one in .270W. The snag is, this one has a progressive folding rear sight (mine on the '06 is a single folder), and there is a "riser" on the .270 barrel where the rear sight is installed ( the '06 has no riser on the barrel).
Other than that, from the on line pics, the .270 looks very much like my '06 ... ported barrel, hooded front sight, same checkering pattern on the wood, hollowed knob on the bolt handle, schnabel fore end, similar overall stock shape.

Question is whether or not the different sight and the riser on the barrel make the .270 something other than a Majestic Featherweight ... any thoughts or advice appreciated ...

You have a rare and dangerous version of the BSA featherweight , I'll meet you in Kamloops and then dispose of it safely for you .................. you're welcome .

AB

I have John Knibbs' book The Golden Century, which details the whole of BSA's production. I am by no means an expert on BSA but if you would like to post the serial numbers of your rifles, I would be pleased to look them up and tell you what Mr Knibbs had to say.

Thanks for you responses gentlemen.

Interesting ... The Knibbs info lists 7E and 7G as the prefixes for the Majestics. There is no doubt that the prefix on my Majestic '06 is 7F. After considerable internet searching, it seemed to me that the .270 I saw for sale might have been a Royal, in a so-called lightweight, which according to the source I found, tipped the scales at almost 9 pounds. Definitely not a lightweight to my way of thinking, and not what I was looking for to pair up with the Majestic I already have. The search continues.

The serial # on my '06 is 7F 12XX , and from my earlier searching about it, I noted that it was manufactured 1959 - 1965. If that is incorrect, or if a more precise dating is possible, I'd be pleased to correct my records.

If you look at the 'sticky' at the top of this 'Rifles and Calibres' forum, you will be able to establish the year that your rifle was originally proofed. I will also have a read of Mr Knibbs book to see if there is anything further.

I have looked in Mr Knibbs' book and it does not mention a 7F. It does go into detail regarding the various actions but I don't think it takes you any further.

Appreciate your effort on my behalf. Regardless of serial #s, I'll be watching for another Majestic, especially a Featherweight ... anything in reasonable shape, and sporting a sensible price tag will have a new home.

Some of the serial numbers on BSA rifles were stamped very poorly, your F could be a badly stamped E. I had a BSA 22 hornet, the serial number was nearly unreadable.

Check with John Knibbs International, they have a page which will help you to identify the model from the serial no. range.

Back