Heym SR21 take down

Pine Marten

Hello everyone.

I was having a game of fantasy league rifle buying and started having a look at the Heym range because they're really very nice rifles indeed. And it struck me that what I'd really like one day would be something like a Heym SR21, but with a take down facility. So I had a look at their range and options, but there is no option for that. Except that in December 2009, Bonhams sold an example of exactly that: Bonhams : A fine 7x57mm 'SR-21' take-down sporting rifle by Heym, no. 211455TD

Do Heym have a secret customising department that they don't like to talk about, or did they used to offer this but then dropped it from the repertoire?

More generally, what takedown production models are on the market these days, apart from the switch-barrel ones? The key thing is that I don't like two-part stocks where the stock and forend are attached at either end of the receiver, like the Sauer 202 takedown for instance. Much as my head says this is a great rifle, my heart just doesn't latch onto it. There is the Verney-Carron Impact Takedown, but the bolt handle looks horrible (completely subjective I know).

1402.png

Anyway, this is as good a Friday discussion as any!

You two obviously missed the part about stock design... Edward Fox looks like he's about to smack himself in the eye with the scope there. As for Westley Richards, yes, I agree, an ideal choice! Perhaps with one or two zeroes fewer than on the current price though.

Here's a question for people who know about such things: presumably it's not that complicated to change a bolt handle to one that doesn't look like something picked from the little plastic drawers in an ironmongers'?

Joe Smithson will make you a nice one, ok, 3 year waiting list, $30,000 later and export issues,,,but! he'll do a good one.

Alternatively Schultz and Larsen's are very very nice indeed, shame they had to try and 'improve' the m98 action they used for so long.

otherwise consider a custom m98 based take down with your own design, ok will still cost you around the £10K.

Finally, let's be honest, the take down feature will never really be used unless you happen to travel a lot on buses and trains where having a smaller case just happens to be very convenient, and takedowns and just adds moving parts to a rifle which is never a good idea.

That said, why not a standart rifle with a good solid bedding platform and torque wrench that can ensure take-apart and re-assembly with perfect consistency and zero, there's hardly any length difference and you can custom make a nice case for it.

Heym effectively do have a bespoke custom rifle department. It is they who build all the relly nice double and big nore bolt action rifles. Their SR20 and now SR21's are also hand built and assembled and they can will do pretty much what the customer asks for. That SR21 take down looks interesting - SR21's are built as an integral barrel / receiver rather than a traditional receiver with the barrel screwed in like the SR20, Mauser 98, Rem 700, Sako, Tikka etc.

Just about all bolt action rifles are actually quite easily takedown. With my SR20, remove bolt, undo the two actio screws and I have two major parts that are less than 30" long and can fit in short case. Many take down rifles built by the likes of Westly, Holland and holland used this principle, but the rear action screw is replaced by a hook, and the front screw is caputure by a circlip so it doesn't fall out, with a lrge driver slot shaped to accept an old penny.

Provided the bedding is good, and you tighten to pretty much the same torque, it will shoot close enough to point of zero for it not to be an issue. Saying that takedown is more for long distance travel and should be checked prior stalking.

Real takedown is found in a drilling, double or kipplauf style single shot.

As we are dreaming:

http://www.hallowellco.com/john_boll...hest%20338.htm

K

Yes very nice, but why or why do modern rifles and indeed shotguns by custom builders use Torx or Allen headed screws. They look beautiful but the looks as if screws are just off the shelf from a local "toolstation". Surely its not too much to ask for proper screws to be made with a fine slot with properly matched turnscrews, and with the screws properly indexed, and filed flush. That shows proper skill and workmanship, not just a screwing lots of bits together.

good choice, also bears my surname :D

The Verney-Carron one is growing on me too, if it was feasible to change the bolt handle and maybe tart it up a bit to make up for the less-than-lovely receiver. The Schultz & Larsen one has lines so clean as to almost be bland though... I still prefer the Heym one, but I suppose that's where you start entering the realm of just solving problems with the application of money. Doesn't matter, it's not a genuine immediate problem. I was thinking along the lines of a modest Lotto win, and what rifle I would need for this Yukon moose hunting trip. To which the answer is a takedown 9.3x62 which can then be used for deer and boar back in Europe. All imaginary of course, so I could go with the Westley Richards at this stage.

Back