Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to reloading

New to reloading

I'm looking to start reloading for .223 but it looks a bit daunting,how do I know what brass,primer,powder,bullet combo to choose.I have had a look at powder manufacturers load data and looked at bullet manufacturers data they seem to be different. I was hoping to start with a 50gr softpoint not sure what brand any recommendations ? and 50gr vmax.I was told lapua brass, viht 133,hornaday v max but can't find load data for it,Viht doesn't show vmax in data. Sorry if this sounds stupid but any help would be appreciated for a beginner.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Leesuckley; 29-05-2015 at 23:04. Reason: spelling mistake

Have a look on youtube, there's some good stuff on there. Then go with specific manufacturer loads to ensure your safety! Novice re-loaders always seem to want to 'stoke' loads to the max, but in reality, a minimum load will often give better accuracy, less barrel wear, less meat damage and use less powder! The deer will be no wiser! Load for best group and accuracy and not speed!
    MS

Get as close as you can for your chosen powder. By this I mean that the start load for n133 with a 50g sierra bullet should also be safe with a hornady, Nosler or Speer etc. your start load is just that, a safe place to start. You should also be ok with a different brand of case or a different small rifle (not magnum )primer. Set your cartridge oal to the same length as in the data and move up powder charges in small increments of 0.2grains or so for a small case like the 223. Look for pressure signs after each shot and don't go above max load. Bear in mind that by changing any component that the maximum safe charge could change from the published max load. Read a lot and take your time. It isn't that hard to do but does take some attention to detail

Quote Originally Posted by Leesuckley View Post
    I'm looking to start reloading for .223 but it looks a bit daunting,how do I know what brass,primer,powder,bullet combo to choose.I have had a look at powder manufacturers load data and looked at bullet manufacturers data they seem to be different. I was hoping to start with a 50gr softpoint not sure what brand any recommendations ? and 50gr vmax.I was told lapua brass, viht 133,hornaday v max but can't find load data for it,Viht doesn't show vmax in data. Sorry if this sounds stupid but any help would be appreciated for a beginner.
    Thanks
    Buy "The ABC's of Reloading" and read it. Or buy Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading" and read it.
    Do NOT go to You-Tube or forums for information. Find a source where the information provided by bona fide experts.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Buy "The ABC's of Reloading" and read it. Or buy Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading" and read it.
    Do NOT go to You-Tube or forums for information. Find a source where the information provided by bona fide experts.~Muir
    + 1

+2 Read a decent reloading manual and forget about youtube unless it is an instructional video posted by one of the reloading manufacturers.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I was in your position about three years ago and was given the same good advice as you have above - it set me off on the right track
    Since you are not a million miles away if you would like to pop over at some stage I could show you the basic requirements
    There is an excellent dealer near Whitchurch who will advise (and sell) you everything you need
    Give me a PM if I can be of any help
    Ed

i wouldnt knock youtube to much lads there are some really good vids on there, yes theres some rubbish but there is a lot that can be learnt from it

I should have added that members of SD were extremely helpful with all my queries
    ED

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    i wouldnt knock youtube to much lads there are some really good vids on there, yes theres some rubbish but there is a lot that can be learnt from it
    The trick, for a newbee to the art, is sorting the wheat from the chaff when it comes to both forum advice and youtube "instructionals".
    I am firmly of the opinion that "if you can read, you can reload".
    The book that taught me and got me started was the Speer Reloading Manual No11, and for many years it was my only manual. My local retailer starting to stock Vihtavuori powders meant I then had to get another book.
    Last edited by Harry mac; 30-05-2015 at 09:45.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.