Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steyr Scout users

Steyr Scout users

What scopes are you using?
    I'm not sure I get the forward mounted long eye relief concept.
    I'm thinking small and compact, probably illuminated for low light woodland use.
    Any ideas, preferably based on experience welcomed!
    MS

I had a tactical elite, if I remember rightly I had a Swarovski 3-12x50 on it, can't remember what rings I was using. I think I just had the scope as far back as possible towards the objective end. Having a lower mag scope would no doubt help with less eye relief. What scope do you have on there at the minute?

If you fancy really embracing the Scout principle I have a Leupold VX-III 1-4x20 on my dart rifle which I'm not using at the moment. You are welcome to borrow it to have a play. It isn't a long relief so would need to be mounted on the receiver as normal. It's 1"tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopete View Post
    I had a tactical elite, if I remember rightly I had a Swarovski 3-12x50 on it, can't remember what rings I was using. I think I just had the scope as far back as possible towards the objective end. Having a lower mag scope would no doubt help with less eye relief. What scope do you have on there at the minute?
    Haven't even got the rifle yet!(arrives Tuesday) Been looking at some of the options though. There's a Leupold 2.5 x 28 Intermediate eye relief scope that gets great reviews, but I just can't imagine shooting with such a low mag?? I'm used to Z6i's on my other rifles and don't really know which route to take. It's such a compact light rifle that I'm drawn to a smaller scope, possibly fixed mag. I'm tempted by the Swaro 8x50 Kurz for sale on here at the moment, but I'd rather have an illuminated variant. I'll be using it mainly in woodlands at very low light.
    MS
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 29-05-2015 at 23:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Haven't even got the rifle yet!(arrives Tuesday) Been looking at some of the options though. There's a Leupold 2.5 x 28 Intermediate eye relief scope that gets great reviews, but I just can't imagine shooting with such a low mag?? I'm used to Z6i's on my other rifles and don't really know which route to take. It's such a compact light rifle that I'm drawn to a smaller scope, possibly fixed mag. I'm tempted by the Swaro 8x50 Kurz for sale on here at the moment, but I'd rather have an illuminated variant. I'll be using it mainly in woodlands at very low light.
    MS
    That 8x50 Kurtz looks good and the price is quite good. The thick No4 reticle would make up quite a bit for the lack of illumination. I had a 3-12x50 Kurtz with a No4 on my. 308 for years.

The other obvious option is go back to basics with a 6x42? I have a Swarovski 6x42 on my .22 that you are also welcome to borrow as I never really use it other than for RTC's.
    Last edited by Glyn 1; 29-05-2015 at 23:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    That 8x50 Kurtz looks good and the price is quite good. The thick No4 reticle would make up quite a bit for the lack of illumination. I had a 3-12x50 Kurtz with a No4 on my. 308 for years.

The other obvious option is go back to basics with a 6x42? I have a Swarovski 6x42 on my .22 that you are also welcome to borrow as I never really use it other than for RTC's.
    You've hit on the ultimate dilemma there mate! Thick non illuminated reticle versus thin illuminated! As you know I'm a bit of an accuracy fanatic and I can't be doing with a thick reticle that obscures the target for load development zeroing and on the range. I quite simply have to have a fine reticle! That in turn means that the only practical option is illuminated so I can see it in poor light.
    Your offers of loans of expensive equipment are truly quite humbling and speak volumes as to you as a person! Speak soon.
    MS

Before we had illuminated reticles I always used to have at least two completely different deer rifle set ups; a .243 with a fine, high mag leupold on it for park work and a bigger calibre or two with thick reticle Swarovskis for wild stuff. I used to put a spare 20x leupold onto the wild deer rifles for load development. All a bit of a pain in the bum, a 3-18x50 Z6i does it all now.

Never worried about lending people kit and the better it is the harder it is to break. I have never damaged a scope yet including when dropping a rifle out of a highseat and having it stick in the ground like the arrows on the strongbow advert!!

I've got a couple of Z6i's including a 3-18 x 50, but it would be too much to be in keeping with the scout principle. I hate parallax adjustment too as I always forget to do it! It rarely moves from100m!
    I think fixed power fine reticle illuminated is the way forward. Probably no bigger than 50mm objective.
    MS

I had a Kurz on my Tactical elite and it was a good scope with that rifle. If your used to Z6i I would go for the 2.5-15x44, saving a bit in weight and not hampering yourself with fixed mag. If your putting a mod on the rifle which one you going for, presuming it's gonna be light weight!

Quote Originally Posted by Discopete View Post
    I had a Kurz on my Tactical elite and it was a good scope with that rifle. If your used to Z6i I would go for the 2.5-15x44, saving a bit in weight and not hampering yourself with fixed mag. If your putting a mod on the rifle which one you going for, presuming it's gonna be light weight!
    Yes indeed! It is coming with a Roedale precision which tips the scales at about a mere 200g! I think anything heavier would probably bend the barrel as it looks fairly flimsy!
    MS