Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hubertus Cherry Wood roe call

Established Poster

Hubertus Cherry Wood roe call

Hi All

I've purchased the above call and plan to give it a go once the bucks start getting a bit amorous in late July.

I gather this call can produce two calls, a high pitch fawn and a lower pitch doe.

I can't seem to find any videos on YouTube about how to tune and use these calls. Has anyone any advice and is there a link that can be forwarded to provide me with a starting point ahead of driving the family mad imitating lost fawns at 2 in the morning.

Many thanks

Tom

This is my favourite roe call and the only type I have used for years. I think that I have the Richard Prior calling instructions on cassette tape somewhere. If I can find it and you have a means of playing it or copying it to your computer then I'll bung it in rhe post.

It will also work on Muntjac. Sometimes .
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

I don't know if this might help you, the pitch is altered by adjusting the silver coloured screw on the caller:

As FrenchieBoy rightly states, the pitch can be altered by the screw and that is one problem that I found with it, as I wear mine on a lanyard and the movement against my coat changed the pitch.
    As I use mine exclusively for Muntjac, I have put a little Locktite (blue) on the thread to keep the pitch set.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Established Poster
    Thanks all, yes I have been experimenting changing the pitch but I really don't know how to tune it to the right (two) pitches. Or how to use it when the pitch is set, I assume three peeps, then a pause, in a cycle. But I'm just basing that on the (many) buttolo videos.

Glyn that is exceptionally generous of you, thank you. Unfortunately I don't have the means to play cassettes anymore.

Regards

Tom

i have the cd somewhere, will look for it. my dog ate my caller so I'm now on a different type and would be more than happy parting with the cd of course

wonder if these are easy to make?
    do they have a reed inside?

Established Poster
    This forum really is rather special.

Within 24 hours of posting the thread and I'm listening to Richard Prior's reassuring tones. With thanks to Willie Gunn!

Many thanks to all the others who were going to do the same, your generosity is heart warming.

It seems the cherry wood call is spot on for the fawn and doe call, although I would need something else for the terror call which is two tone.

Tom

Last edited by Harry mac; 03-06-2015 at 09:41.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.