Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roe and coat change 2015

Roe and coat change 2015

What is happening where you are? Most yearlings have been in summer coat for a while here.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

They seem to be a bit late changing up with us.

ATB

Jon

Of all the beasts I've seen this last week all bar one Doe has had full summer coats. The Doe is the one that looked very poor last couple of times I have been home but couldn't get a shot at as she is always just over the boundary. Seems to be doing a bit better now though and still has an yearling in tow.

Bryan

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

Out yesterday in borders area and all the roe I saw were 50/50 winter/summer coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    What is happening where you are? Most yearlings have been in summer coat for a while here.
    Not expert but seems there aren't fast rules
    While out with a Candidate four Roe deer presented.
    A mature Roe Doe with two yearlings, all in good Summer coats.
    They were joined by a mature Roe Buck who was still grey although clean of velvet
    I was surprised as I'd expect him to be foxy red. Probably catch up with him soon and provide explanation

Regular Poster
    most of the roe up here in Northumberland seem to be 50/50 as yet.no sign of does who have fawned yet.seen a doe on Friday evening still heavily pregnant,shot 2 bucks this week,one clean and one in velvet

Quote Originally Posted by awmc View Post
    Not expert but seems there aren't fast rules
    While out with a Candidate four Roe deer presented.
    A mature Roe Doe with two yearlings, all in good Summer coats.
    They were joined by a mature Roe Buck who was still grey although clean of velvet
    I was surprised as I'd expect him to be foxy red. Probably catch up with him soon and provide explanation
    An older Buck perhaps. Age is a factor isn't it. I agree it does seem to be area specific and they don't like obeying rules! I've heard it said that body condition plays a part so it would be interesting if someone has good and poor areas within a sensible distance for comparison. Did you see many other youngsters apart from these two?

All in summer coat down here in Surrey...

Hereford last wednsday ,saw 3 does 2 in nice red summer coat and 1 in a dirty black/brown coat.one of the 3 was hugely pregnant ,far larger than the other 2 .

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    An older Buck perhaps. Age is a factor isn't it. I agree it does seem to be area specific and they don't like obeying rules! I've heard it said that body condition plays a part so it would be interesting if someone has good and poor areas within a sensible distance for comparison. Did you see many other youngsters apart from these two?
    Thanks. No I didn't see any other youngsters on that occasion but all (the yearlings) I've seen recently in Cornwall and Somerset have been in new summer coats. That Buck was striking and the first we've seen to use the small open gate to a disused pheasant pen! Plan to catch up with him for ICR 3 but won't count on it