Thread: a lot learnt from one muntjac

a lot learnt from one muntjac

well after having my stalk ruinned by a dog fox yesterday morning which had to be taken i decided to give it another shot yesterday evening as a friend was after a muntjac for his freezer, anyhow i had stalked myself into a likley clearing in the wood and waited patiently for a muntjac to make its aperance which it did after only half an hour of waiting a small but mature muntie doe. She hung close to the cover for about 10-15 mins just grazing a small patch constantly moving as muntjac do but never starying to far from cover but this gave me time to see if she had a stripey humbug running around with her which she didnt and in all the time i watched her she never once looked back into the cover she came from so even tho she wasnt obviously pregnant i was certain she never had any depdant young. So all i had to do now was get her away from the cover as she was about 150yrds away from me so i didnt fancey a head or neck shot at that sort of range (especialy as she was so mobile) and with no dog i didnt want to run the risk of chest shooting her, her running into the cover and me never seeing her again. so i reached into my pocket and gave the butollo a couple of sqweaks just to see if i could draw her a little closer and away from the cover but she wasnt interested at all so the wait continued for her to move and this is where it got interesting for me as a muntie to my right had obviously caught wind of me as it started to shout its head off from 40yrds back in the cover from where i wouldnt mind guessing it came into the buttolo, now normaly if i bump a muntjac and it starts shouting at me i will move on to another area as ive been rumbled and any other muntjac in the area also know somthing is afoot and head for the hills but as i watched her she couldnt care less and caried on feeding infact she even came 40yrds off the cover and i took her with a neck shot all the while the other muntjac shouting at me. to be honest if i hadnt seen her i would have moved on to another spot as soon as the shouting started but from now on i will rethink and maybe just hang on and wondered what other people would do

Yes I too would have thought that the game was up and moved on.

Sometimes I struggle to tell the difference between the alarm bark and the other bark that can just go on for half an hour or so.
    I think the alarm bark is harsher and more urgent though. One sure sign is if its accompanied by stamping of the front foot, but not always.

I have experienced Muntjac who have come to the call but will not show themselves enough for a shot and just repeatedly bark from cover, even when it would be impossible for them to have winded me.

After years of stalking, calling and shooting Muntjac, I still wonder what we are saying to them when we call and what their various calls mean to each other.
    Fascinating creatures.

Thank you for posting your experience.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    I have experienced Muntjac who have come to the call but will not show themselves enough for a shot and just repeatedly bark from cover, even when it would be impossible for them to have winded me.
    That's happened to me too, really frustrating following the sound back and forth right in front and seeing nothing and then the first sighting you do get is when they've finally had enough and it's the white flash of a bolt upright tail heading for the horizon

Alex

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    That's happened to me too, really frustrating following the sound back and forth right in front and seeing nothing and then the first sighting you do get is when they've finally had enough and it's the white flash of a bolt upright tail heading for the horizon

Alex
    Yes, and normally that white flash comes from somewhere I'd already discounted as a muntjac hidey-hole!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

We were out one evening on a cabbage field. We stalked in on 2 Munties together. My mate shot the buck, the doe ran 15 yards and went back to feeding so I shot her.
    they can do unusual things.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .