Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer sling

Deer sling

Hi folks, i notice that there are several slings for sale,not trying to put anybody out of buisness,but why not use a bit of bushcraft
    Here's the method i use,simple and effective

First toggle a front foot

Open the synew on the lower leg of the same side.

Pass the toggled front hoof through rear leg ligament.

Off you jolly well go

With bigger deer you can do both sides and carry the deer in rucksack fassion,i learned this method in NZ many years ago carrying some very big reds out of the bush using this method.
    Im sure many of you already use this method, but if i can save a novice stalker 20 my job is done

Nell

Not seen it before. Nice one for deer extraction but did we need the boggie extraction as well

good bit of kiwi ingenuity. the other method that i have used quite a lot and is great for pigs is just make a couple of slits between the sinew and bone and link each back and front leg with a dog collar and put on your back like a back pack

I have used a similar solution except I have hocked both legs and pushed a short stick in the cut slit of the threaded leg to stop it pulling back thru. I hope that makes sense?
    I'll certainly be giving you method a try as it saves on finding a suitable stick

I use 31mm dowel sawn lengthways and pointed at each end with a pivot 6" from one end as a set of shooting sticks.

They also come together to be a robust stick 6' long which I use to sling a Roe onto, tying the legs with bindertwine.

Am I the only one who does this and gets covered in blood? They don't half look at you funny if you have to stop and buy fuel when the outside of one leg is dripping with blood. My mate Allan looked like he had a bad bleed from his bum the last time he carried a munty like this. It's the reason i bought washable seat covers

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Am I the only one who does this and gets covered in blood? They don't half look at you funny if you have to stop and buy fuel when the outside of one leg is dripping with blood. My mate Allan looked like he had a bad bleed from his bum the last time he carried a munty like this. It's the reason i bought washable seat covers

ft
    No your not on your own Flytie thats why i use a roesack with a washable liner to stop blood from going over me , its possible to achieve not doing so but then it means you dont gralloch it on the spot so you have to carry it out intact, and with the added risk of the rumen gassing up.

Its alright in emergency hocking the legs and passing the front through but not one i would choose for regular extraction

After watching a shooting show I saw a guy use a sling style thing to carry muntjac so I got on google and stumbled onto this. How would you toggle the leg?

thankuou for posting. Even if it was a few years ago.
    Soon to be the latest member of the 20cal club.

It all works out in the end and if it hasn't worked out well it isn't the end!

Bugger. I thought I invented this.

It might be an old thread but it is a good one, here is an amusing video from NZ, shows you how to do the rucksac method, Strong language!
    Cheers
    Richard
    Last edited by devon deer stalker; 23-12-2013 at 10:02.